Existing Member?

On the road again Canada and the US Dec 2011-Feb 2012 - Observations, musings and random thoughts jotted down mostly during loooong train and bus trips.

MONOCHROMATIC FOOD: EATING ON THE ROAD IN THE USA

USA | Tuesday, 24 January 2012 | Views [1557] | Comments [3]

Yummy cream-laden clam chowder at Pike Place market, Seattle

Yummy cream-laden clam chowder at Pike Place market, Seattle

Having now been exposed to the diet of the vast majority of the population for several weeks, I am dying for fresh salad, fruit, vegetables and low-fat milk for my (espresso) coffee!

It is of course possible to eat well - very well - in the US,  but after leaving the West Coast and venturing into the vast hinterland that is the South-West (Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico...) I am craving a rainbow of colours on my plate. It just seems so much more difficult to not eat badly: everywhere everything is either white-bread -based sandwiches or deep-fried chicken and chips. It is also excessively sweet (bread, peanut butter...).

The Mexican food too that is such a staple is a bastardised version of what is found south of the border - here it is all corn and wheat-based and smothered in monterey jack cheese, with a token nod to salsas.

In New Orleans I tried the specialities such as beignets (deep-fried pastries drowning in icing sugar - reminiscent of Dutch ollebollen) and mufaletta (huge stuffed bread rolls) as well as creole dishes more often than not deep-fried - all tasty but definitely 'sometime foods'!

It was in New Orleans too that I found the first supermarket ever where there was zero fresh fruit and vegetables, leading to the discovery that often the healthiest food is to be found in fastfood joints -  such as McDonald's salads.

Sitting in the Orlando greyhound terminal waiting for my connection to Miami, I bought the single lonely salad in the cooler and dressed it with vinaigrette before reading the package and learning that the ingredients were primarily soybean oil, corn syrup and artificial colouring and flavouring.

Every person in the cafeteria was  tucking into either deep-fried southern chicken and chips or macaroni cheese, washed down with soda. The hamburgers with their token lettuce and tomato didn't seem to be as popular.

Of course if you are travelling with a little more style than I am at present, and are prepared to either spend quite a bit more or have access to a market and kitchen, it is possible to largely avoid such a health-compromising diet. But as a backpacker, you are limited in what you can stock in your travelling pantry - everything must be carried, without refrigeration and mindful of space and weight restrictions. It is too easy to get laden with extra supermarket bags, on top of your backpack, daypack and camera bag.

I am looking forward to what I can find in Florida and up the east coast, and shedding the extra baggage I have personally accumulated since hitting the road a month ago.

(c) FMPDH 2012

Tags: american food

Comments

1

That chowder looks so good!!

In South Beach I can recommend a few places - a few blocks back from the beach there's a 'Mexican' place, can't remember the name (it's a chain, 'fresh mex' maybe?) that has super delicious healthy salads and unsweetened Iced tea, I pretty much lived on them for a few days while Brad ate hundreds of tacos. There's also a little alleyway near one of the hostels called 'international alley' or something, there's a Brazillian restaurant there that's pretty good. Also a pizza place called 'naked pizza' I think that does GF base and lots of veg.

I totally know what you mean about food in the midwest and south - being GF was a huge challenge and I did end up eating mass amounts of fried chicken. Ask for grits if they have them, bland but healthy and strangely enjoyable.

  Chloe Jan 24, 2012 11:12 AM

2

Thanks for the tips!

  ecrivain Jan 24, 2012 11:28 AM

3

Food for thought, is it any wonder this is the land of the obese, everything is bigger in Texas mentality! Wow well written - more real than travel mags!

  tony Apr 25, 2012 12:18 PM

About ecrivain


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.