Existing Member?

Long way south

Nothing but the road

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [237] | Scholarship Entry

Our plan was to get from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia by car. That was meaning more than 3 000 km of driving, a distance we covered in one week.
When you travel by car your biggest adventure becomes a stop in a gas station, a funny vehicle passing by, a wild animal suddenly running out of the bushes across the road, a small town where you drop by to take a look at a local attraction. I’d strongly recommend you to do the latter, sure if you are not limited with time and money for fuel. Making a stop in a place that you like and spending there a couple of days will allow you to rest from a monotone driving and fill you with new impressions.
After many days of driving you start to feel like a nomad. You live on what the road gives to you. Fortunately, the Route 3 was not a completely wild and inhabitant. As soon as we decided that we’re hungry enough to start looking for a place to have a lunch, all our attention was directed on the road-signs saying “cabañas” or “parrilla”. Even if you didn’t know the meaning you could guess that was the place where they give you hot dinner (and where you could stretch your limbs).
The place we stopped at reminded us a hunter’s hut, with lots of curious details: animals’ horns, old house ware, pictures of sport cars and a house-keeper in his youth pinned up to the wall. The owner himself was cooking and the smell from the kitchenette, which was in the same room, was so marvelous that made our stomachs twist. The old man served the meal with the kindness of a grandpa who suddenly got a rare visit by his beloved grandchildren. We were eating the most delicious stake while “grandpa” was telling stories of his stormy youth of a car-racer. There was no doubt he was a winning racer, but we did knew he was a great chef! Before leaving the old racer explained us the route. Those who travel know that a piece of information becomes a bonus that you’ll always be able to get on the road, be sure, for everyone who gets on the road becomes an inseparable part of it.
So, if my story encouraged you to make a car journey to the farthest corner of the planet, have no doubts – drive, stop in beautiful places, talk to people, listen to their stories, sleep outdoors, look up the starry skies, take pictures of sunsets… and when there’s time for your long-expected arrival you’ll look back and say to yourself, “It was a long way and I did it. I expected nothing but the road, but it showed me wonders”. And maybe you’ll start missing the road again.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About eastorwest


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.