Existing Member?

A new look to the neighbour earth

Different universes

UKRAINE | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [218] | Scholarship Entry

We were left off the bus here – in the vibrant spot full of people – with the words: “Further way you'll find yourself”. Strange claim, providing that this place was for me unfamiliar and absolutely unlike to all I've seen the other days of the journey through the Crimea. Scorching heat. Baking sunbeams continue to adorn skin with bronze tan. And, of course, clutter everywhere. Bunches of tourists as always surround arrays of souvenir stalls and a tourist guide naturally says that it is here that the gifts are the cheapest and food is the tastiest. The bus driver however turned out to be right – I found the point of destination on my own, following the crowd. At the entrance to the Khan's Palace – Mecca for sightseers – stands young handsome Tatar, who helps ladies to bind their kerchiefs. How in the world delicately and tenderly he does it! Every woman nothing but melts in the depth of his eyes and feels at least for several seconds like if she were “a sultan's beloved wife”. No obtrusiveness here, only admiration in look. How many do you think of ordinary white kerchiefs were sold? Precisely by the number of women in the group. And no one could recollect the price… Me too.
I made a step over the main gate of the Bakhchisaray Palace. I penetrated into the residence of the Giray dynasty, mighty and fierce rulers of the Crimean Khanate. While strolling along the shrine of the Crimean Tatar people, I imagined me passing exactly the same places, where some centuries ago emperors shaped the future for their lands, where Khans held private harem or where captives once were tortured. The XVIII century Quran, tiny neat rugs on the floor and large carpets on the walls, jug for washing hands, Fountain of Tears... And ultimately, Khan's seat – a “throne”, covered with thin orange cloth, embroidered on the back with gold half-moon. Running through the veins of its every nook and corner definitely is royal blood.
And now, after dozen hours of daydreaming in train, I am standing on the highway in the centre of my home busy capital city, which every now and again attracts with its blazing, flamboyant and at the same time intrusive “Just do it” and “I'm lovin it” ads. Nothing sacred, there is no Big Khan Mosque here. What an astonishing contrast! It's like you came out of different universe and entered another one. It seems to happen all the time: we are changing our universes throughout the life. I'll never forget the day that I've realized and felt in love with that.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About eager-traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ukraine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.