Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

An unexpected day in Te Anau

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 6 February 2015 | Views [286]

Today was a rest day in Te Anau given that the Kepler Track had been cancelled. 

I went for a walk along lake Te Anau to the Marina and around the corner, admiring the freshly snow covered mountain tops.  

After a coffee and some wifi I managed to find a very kind lady in a DVD shop who had a charger I could use so I left the phone there for an hour.  Mine was left in Queenstown as I was not meant to be using my phone while tramping! 

I went to the Fjordland cinema to watch the short film Ata Whenua.  A beautiful film of scenery and music from the largely unseen parts of the Fjordland National Park in all seasons.  

After lunch I took a walk out to the control gates where the Kepler Track starts. It was sunny and hot but still managing to rain! The path goes along the lake and again there are lovely views of the snowy mountains. There was also a little wildlife park where I saw a Takahe and a Kaka. 

The night was spent at the Steamers Backpacker as Amanda had returned to the track for the last night.  Here I met a sweet french canadian girl who told me why she likes the UK - she had met an Engish boy who she had travelled with for a while in the North Island and fallen in love with! 

Tags: lakes, mountains

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.