Existing Member?

¿Que?

Really? A month and a half without a blog??

MEXICO | Wednesday, 25 March 2009 | Views [810] | Comments [1]

Hey Everyone!

I realize it's been way too long since I've written - a little over a month and a half! Since lots has happened since I last wrote, I figure I will go with the list approach or the top whatever approach. So, here we go (in chronological-ish order):

1.  Lots of Fun Times with the Brits: Anna and Gemma were here visiting from Juconi Ecuador.  They completed an 8 week art project with the kids here. We had lots of good times in our salsa classes, going out in Puebla together, and going on other nearby adventures. They recently headed back to Ecuador so things are a little lonely around here!

2. I (along with Anna, Gemma, and Joyce) have become a salsa-dancing-maniac. That's right folks - I'm almost 2 months into classes. My instructor told me, "You don't dance like a gringa." I think that was a compliment.

3. Spent a full week in what were basically in-services for Casa Juconi (here known as "talleres") with all of the other staff. This included lots of talking in Spanish in front of other people. One day we had to read part of a chapter and summarize it for everyone else. That was a bit of a challenge to summarize my part in front of about 15 other people in Spanish. Definitely was sweating, voice cracking, all that good nervous stuff. BUT...it did give me some good examples for my next group with the kids, which focused on our bodily responses to anxiety.

4. Round Two of Lucha Libre. I took my second trip to the Puebla Arena to introduce Anna and Gemma to Lucha Libre. They totally got into the spirit and even bought some masks. During this trip to Lucha, we got to see some ladies wrestling and we got to see a championship fight....ooooooooohhhh. Can't wait to go again!

5. Carnaval: Joyce, Anna, Gemma, and I all made a day trip to celebrate Carnaval in Veracruz. We left Puebla at 730am on a Saturday and left Veracruz at 2am that night to avoid having to find a place to stay. Not sure exactly why they celebrate bigger there than in other places in Mexico, but that's the place to go. Being from Brazil, Joyce wasn't all that impressed, but we still all had a good time.

6. Keane: Went to a Keane concert in Mexico City, with VIP tickets courtesy of Gemma. Actually, courtesy of Gemma's boyfriend who photographed Keane's most recent album cover. We had great seats. I was amazed by the number of Mexicans there who knew every single word to every single song. Keane has some serious fans in Mexico. Unfortunately, none of us (Gemma, Anna, nor I) knew any of the words to any of the songs!

7. Played in my first co-ed ultimate tournament with "Janizar." A team I now claim to be my own. We placed 3rd in the tournament, going 6-1. I like to think that even though we didn't win the tournament, we definitely won the party. For those of you non-ultimate players, ultimate tournaments are knows for their Saturday night parties between the two days of play. This party was held at a Salsa club and my teammates and I were still there at 3am dancing. Go Janizar!

8. I have made approximately 9 cakes in the last 2 months in Casa, a few of which, I must admit, were inedible. I have been unofficially elected baker of the house, but am still trying to figure out how to use a gas oven and how to find the ingredients I need. It's more common to buy cakes here because there are a ton of shops that just make cakes. The other educators are amazed by the idea of making our own cakes and have begun to joke that I came to Mexico to get my Ph.D. in pasteles (cakes). One of the boys suggested I should attend a taller (or a class) to learn more about making cakes - I'm seriously considering the suggestion.

9. I was invited to and attended my first official Carne Asada (basically a mexican bbq) with people from work. Mmmmm. I helped make the guacamole:-)

10. Tooth Fairies: Made some new friends who are all finishing up dental school here. Anna and Gemma who are both fairly tall, well in Mexico anyway, nicknamed the guys the "Tooth Faries" because they are all rather tiny! And, although they all dance really well, the proved to be difficult partners for the taller Brits.

11. A VISIT FROM MY MOM AND FRANNIE!! My mom and sister visited Mexico for a week at the beginning of March. We rented a car and traveled around Mexico. First we hung out in Puebla for a few days, then headed to Oaxaca, visited Monte Alban there, and then headed to Taxco for some silver shopping. I think by the time they left they were ready to say goodbye to my driving and the rental car in general:-) I actually felt like I did a pretty good job and fit in well with the drivers here! Frannie took 351 pictures, I took 159. Good work, no? My pictures are nothing compared to her's but I've included a few anyway!

12. Visited a friend in Atlixco, bought a plant there and named her Lumita.   

13. Tough Month in the House: During the week that I wasn't working one of the boys who ran away before Christmas returned, five more ran away. Two of the five had run away before Christmas and then returned. This time the little brother of one and another boy went along:-( We had a new arrival this week and one of our older boys will be graduating soon. The boys who remain in the house have been in relatively good spirits and we are doing our best to keep them happy and keep them feeling safe there. It's frustrating and sad too, because we are all asking ourselves why these boys prefer to be where they are than in the house:-( 

14. Ate pizza for the first and second time in Mexico. You wouldn't believe the things they put on pizza here! Vinegar, salsa, ketchup, worcestershire sauce (also knows as "Salsa Tipo Inglesa" or English Salsa), to name a few. I can't even remember what else they put on the tables. It's certainly not NY style pizza. I have to admit that after some initial hesitancy I am now a fan of salsa tipo inglesa and salsa valentina on my pizza. Gross, huh?!

Well, these are some of the highlights for you! I also made an album in picasa of some of the highlights from the past 2 months or so! Enjoy...

http://picasaweb.google.com/eharanin/FebruaryAndMarch2009HighlightsBlog?authkey=Gv1sRgCK_VxaKz1OPUQQ&feat=directlink

Hope everyone is well!

Comments

1

Que alegria!!! Tanto tiempo sin noticias de Mexico! Sounds like you have been having a wonderful time...Now try and be better about blogging ;) Te extrano amiga!!

  Linda Mar 26, 2009 1:58 PM

About e-face_in_mx


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.