Existing Member?

Prosperity

For Experience, I Will Do!

USA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [102] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day I arrived in Jacksonville, Florida to begin my adventures on a cruise to the Bahamas. When I arrived to the port, i saw this gigantic ship with the words "FASCINATION" on it, painted in big red letters. I knew right then and there that my friends and I, had no idea what waited for us inside this magnificent ship but we were ready to embrace it in every way. After boarding the ship, we decided to head to deck where the pool was. After seeing how the pool had been already claimed by kids that seemed were mostly under 12 years old, we decided to kick back and relax on beach chairs they had around the pool. We noticed how most of the people around our age were all getting the full experience with their fancy alcoholic drinks that used pineapples and coconuts as containers. So we began to talk about how we could get drinks like those and get the experience the other people were getting. At this time my friend Chris was 18, Jacob just turned 17, Jacob's brother Ryan was 25, and I was 19. My friends already convinced themselves that they weren't going to be able to get drinks, but me on the other hand, I was ready to do what ever it took to strut around with a drink with a pineapple container and a tiny umbrella poking out the top. The first thing that came to mind was to get Ryan to just order me a drink but he was still in his cabin doing I don't know what.... or who...... But since he was busy, he was out the question. I began to do what I do best, watch the people around us and see the process of ordering the drink. People who worked on the shipped, walked around selling these drinks while informing everyone what it would be like throughout the cruise. This one guy stopped one of the drink venders and began to buy a drink. I watched step of how to do it. First you told him which drink you wanted, then you would give the vender your ship card which was your source of money, the ship vender would then swipe it and give you your drink. I thought to myself, wow he didn't even I.D. him. This will be cake. My target was the same vender that just sold the drink to the guy i was watching. I called him over and said, " The pineapple one please". He says, " ship card please". I thought to myself, "just as planned". But then I thought," wait.... when he swipes it, it's going to tell him my age!". I was done for, every possible bad thing that could happen to me I began imagining. They were going to lock me up! "Here's your drink sir", he said.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About dylanwilliamson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.