Existing Member?

travelthings

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 24 April 2012 | Views [173] | Scholarship Entry

culture was created when people live. they live, gather, making community, and there you go, custom shaped. you can recognized culture from many things. from house, clothes, and from food.food accompany us from we awake till we sleep. food is inseparable things in our life. food is everywhere! who doesn't need food anyway? as long as you live, you need food. besides, nowadays people tend to make food not as something that can make them alive, but something that you can enjoy more. We see food not as just ‘food’ only, but as something that can excited us, entertain our eyes and our tongue. as you see restaurants are everywhere. from street food until luxury one. and what surprising me, those places always full! i wonder where those people come from? do they always outside? you never knew.
by tasting food, we can get to know a culture more. I live in Indonesia. Indonesia consists of thousands island. I am yet having chance to visit them all, but I know some part. Because of its diversity, Indonesia has many kind of food. If we go to coast area, seafood always provide on table. It because the livelihood of residents there is become a fisherman. Javanese (central Java), most of their food is sweet, not too many spices, and will not surprising your tongue. The taste is nice, but flat, not burst in your tongue. the taste is as you expect as the appearance. this food it's like javanese people, they are calm, friendly, and will not surprised you much with sudden change of attitude. if we see Manado food (North Sulawesi), the food is hot, they using much chili, and a lot of spice. their food is merry and challenge your guts to try. they eat banana with sambal (chili). they cooked bat, called paniki, and even forest rat! it describe that manado people is like to try something new, brave, and merry. those are extreme example to describe how food can describe culture. so before knowing someone better, maybe you can try their custom food. it will tell you more. :)

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About dyas


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.