Existing Member?

dwiputras Opens up the world

The Controversial Sukuh Temple

INDONESIA | Monday, 15 October 2012 | Views [2224]

Sukuh is a Hindu temple complex located in the Berjo village, Central Java at the foot of Mount Lawu slope at an altitude of approximately 1186 meters above sea level. It can be reached from Karanganyar that is about 20 kilometer from the temple and 36 kilometers from Surakarta. This temple is considered controversial because of the uncommon shape that is different from other temples and many objects that symbolize sexuality are found there.

The view of Sukuh Temple

The impression gained from this temple is quite different from that obtained from other major temples in Central Java, namely Borobudur and Prambanan. The form of Sukuh temple relics appear to be similar to the Mayans in Mexico or Peru Inca cultural heritage.

This temple is said to be an erotic temple because of the discovery of the Lingga and Yoni cult object. Facing each other, the Yoni and Lingga are representation of the genitals of men and women that are also frequently referred as a symbol of fertility. According to local belief, the Lingga and Yoni at the gate were once commonly used as a means to test the chastity of women by stepping over that symbol. If the Kebaya cloth that she wore were torn, it meant that she was keeping her holiness, but if the fabric was apart, the woman was believed to have lost her purity.

Horseshoe Relief

Please see the gallery and my blog for the full set of photos.

Tags: central, culture, indonesia, java, temple

About dwiputras


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.