Existing Member?

Forrózeira Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible.

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

BRAZIL | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [1179] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

On the sands of Praia da Concha, one of the local beaches in Itacare, the sun began to set after a day of shining on surfers and sun-bathers, casting a golden hue upon the gathering beach party. When the musicians began to play, the tropical drinks summoned the audience to the dance floor. Erasmo, a local guide whom I had met only two days prior whilst dancing at another local bar ‘Mar e Mel’, was this time behind the bar mixing ambrosial drinks named ‘Caipirinha’. Although watching him juggling tropical fruits and the Cachaça bottle was captivating, I had wished he wasn’t working and would come dance with me to the swinging Forró tunes. The accordion was playing a soothing melody, and the triangle was ringing to the beat accompanied by rhythmic Zabumba drum.
Feeling marooned at the party, my Caipirinha drink in hand, I left the bar towards the dance floor in order to make myself available for a dance. It didn’t take long before a stout man approached, presenting his hand and leading me to the dance floor. I had remembered him playing the guitar the night before at ‘Mar e Mel’ and the rumor was that he was the winner of the annual Forró dance competition. While he was lighting up the dance floor the previous night, all the girls at the bar were casting their covetous eyes on his dance partner. He was now dressed solely in white Capoeira pants, and he was showing off his toned muscles. Thrilled by the offer for a dance, I nodded and he swept me away from the crowd towards the sandy beach. We were moving harmoniously with the beat and soft melody; our feet were half on the sand, half in the ocean which was washing over our legs, under the sunset’s warm glow. I felt my heartbeat synchronize with the rhythm of the Zabumba. When the beat sped up, he began swinging me to his side and we began slowly and sensually meshing with one another. Right there at that moment, I was feeling like the protagonist from the movie ‘Dirty Dancing: Bahian Nights’.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

Comments

1

I'm jealous! Keep living how u feel. All the best..

  Hash May 1, 2012 4:50 AM

2

what a captivating and inspiring story. let's dance all night on the shores of Itacare!

  mir I am May 4, 2012 4:39 PM

About duende


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.