Existing Member?

(Motor)Home alone!

NYC, the city that should never sleep

USA | Wednesday, 23 April 2014 | Views [118] | Scholarship Entry

Brazilians are known for their carnival, dancing, beautiful girls, soccer, and most important, we are world wildly known as the people who knows how to party.
It was my first time in NYC. I was young, I was single and I am Brazilian, all I wanted was to enjoy the fullest of the crowded and bohemian famous Bleeker Street at the East Village. I’ve never been much of a party girl, but…. I was in NYC, so, as a Brazilian, I had this duty.
I put on my best night outfit and met a friend. We had a few drinks first at her place, and about 1 AM we got to our destiny. Bleeker Street was as wonderful as had I imagined. The dimmed light from the poles, setting the perfect mood, pubs and nightclubs almost battling for space, music coming from every tiny little door, people coming and going, all kinds of smells and tastes, just like the movies.
We entered a nice and very crowded rock’n roll pub. We had some beers, talked to some strangers, (nice strangers, mom..), the songs were all well known by their crowd, everyone was singing all the lyrics, everything was just perfect… till the lights were on.
In Brazil, we don’t have a time to end a party. The party just end when the last person goes home. Can you imagine my surprise when the lights were on at 3:45 AM, and everyone was leaving? I was in NYC, the city that NEVER sleeps!
At first it was a little frustrating. But after, I started to understand. Here in Brazil, it`s common for you to get to a nightclub at 1 AM, it`s the RIGHT time to get there. But for Americans, the right time is about 8 or 9 pm.
And after a little while, I understood why New York is famous for never sleeping. They have this amazing nightlife, full of different music and sounds, that is really awesome, BUT today, knowing NYC as I know it, I can tell you that… NYC is a place to know at night. The view of Manhattan from the Brooklyn Bridge can be gorgeous during the day, but breathtaking during the night. The ride on the Roosevelt Island to watch the sunset is one of the most romantic things to do during the spring, but heart-stirring on any ordinary evening.
New York famous sightseeing like Times Square, 5th Avenue, Empire State Building gets a different magic during the night. And even watching the Statue of Liberty by distance, from the lower Manhattan after the sunset is absolutely stunning. NYC comes to life during the darks hours.
The first time I really saw the New York “night life”, it made me never wanting to sleep again.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About dudiiribeiro


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.