Existing Member?

David's World Tour Begins... The purpose of this journal is to let you experience the world of travel as I have experienced it. I hope that I can educate you about the joys and pains of travel and encourage more people to start exploring!

Cinque Terre Continued...

ITALY | Friday, 24 August 2007 | Views [735]

The hike from Corniglia took us to the next town of Vernazza.  I had seen pictures in the Rick Steves book of Vernazza, but it didnt do justice to what you would see before you as you turned a corner and saw the town below.  We walked through the town and had slices of pizza and gelato (mmm gelato!)I actually ate gelato sandwiched in a croissant.  I guess a true French/Italian ice cream sandwich?  We sat and admired the locals and tourists meander around, some sunbathers and swimmers in small coves that shared the small townspeople's boats.  There were several kids and even some adults climbing up a steep rocky cliff and diving into the ocean.  We caught the train back to Riomaggoire to head back to the hostel.  We did enough for one day and saved the last part of the hike for the next day. 

Back at the hostel, we sat outside and admired the surrounding beauty of the countryside and La Spezia below us.  Natalie came out with the other Australian girls and before we knew it we were with wine and conversation.  More and more people joined as the evening progressed, sharing stories and trips. Here, I learned the word 'dodgey' which is the Australian word for suspect.  Also did you know you can mix diet coke or regular coke with red wine and it is acually a real drink in Spain?  I forget the mix conversions, but it tastes a bit sweet like sangria.  I joked with the woman who showed me this concotion that people back at home would consider me white trash with such a drink...at the next wine festival I'll say... "I'd like a nice bottle of red wine and a side of Pepsi please."  haha.

The next morning was a bit tough- small hangover.  We took the train to Vernazza for our last hike... Monterosso.  The hike started intense.  We were both a bit dehydrated, but had water bottles in hand as we started up steep stairs that seemed to go to infiniti!  I kept panting to Alan that we could turn around at anytime and just take the train to Monterosso.. why hike? we already did the first 3... who cares about the last one right?  But we perservered and made the hike up and I am glad we did.  More beatiful scenery as this part winded through the many olive trees with nets for catching them at harvest and wine vineyards clinging to the steep hills.  Monterosso was more of a resort town with a sandy beach and it was also the place I had hoped to swim.  When we arrived the beach was littered with people and of course men selling you chairs and umbrellas for a mere 20 euro!  yikes!  We rested a bit had lunch (I had a yummy salad with Anchovies) and then took the train back to Riomaggoie to hopefully get to the spot of the rocks where Alan was swimming the day earlier for a swim.  This time I was going to jump in.  I swore!  Besides, I was hot, sweaty and ready to swim.  The train took us back and we hiked over to Manarola, where the rocks were, and no one was there.  We climbed down, but this time the surf was a bit more than last time.  Alan, of course, jumped in.  Me... I contemplated and anticipated my move.  Luckily there was a boat landing about a hundred meters from the rocks, so I decided to walk over there to enter the water where other people were.  Alan swam over to meet me.  At the landing, the water was still pretty deep.  Dark blue with big boulders below.  I threw aside all fears and jumped in.  It was great!  I floated around for a while and didnt want to get out.  It started raining at one point (small shower) and still, I stayed in the water enjoying the comfort.  Later as we waited for the train to arrive, I sat in the evening sun watching the milky white waves crash on the rocks below.  It was funny to me to see cars on the hillside wind their way down.  It is so misleading the distance and even though they appeared small and thus far away, the scene looked like something from a minature train scene or as I thought, like the castle scene from Mr. Rogers where Lady Lane (is that her name) lived and the little train would go around.  haha.  I know, my mind thinks of off the wall things.  Anyway wasnt Lady Lane always drunk?  Her face was always red, but I guess thats another story. 

Tags: Adventures

About droberts70


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.