Existing Member?

I Just Ride

It Took a Moment Before I Lost Myself in Here

LITHUANIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [117] | Scholarship Entry

‘I’ve seen you here before, right? Last May?’
A middle-aged man on the reception desk with the name 'Edgar' on his badge was absolutely right. Over the last three years we’ve done our best to snatch a few days to spend them in Nida – a small fishing village, located on the Curonian Spit. We felt in love with Nida for its broad, unpaved streets, for silence and calmness, and for the arrogant swans, that followed us everywhere we went.
Tourists usually come here to take a look at the barchans dunes. That, and the annual jazz festival of questionable quality are the main attractions of Nida. At least, so we thought, until Edgar, smiling broadly, said:
‘It's time to let you know about That One Beach.’
Boris snorted, ‘We’ve already been to the local beach.’
‘Believe me, you’ve never seen a beach like this before. Let me tell you: just go beyond the city,than follow the path, which runs unto the hills. And even if you think you’re lost, just keep going forward.
And so we hit the road. Smooth pathway ended pretty quickly, that's why we had to wade through the bushes, that were not happy to let casual travelers from their embrace. The forest seemed to be never-ending, and, frankly speaking, when I got my foot caught in the root of the tree, I was about to turn around and go back, and only my curiosity was the reason I kept putting one foot in front of the other.
Finally we came out of the forest; the path was calling us to climb the hill. Couple of minutes later, from the top of the hill I’ve discovered one of the most incredible sights in my life. Somewhere far away the sky merged with the sea in a single infinite blueness.
This part of the Baltic Sea was too cold for swimming, thus That One Beach was not that attractive to tourists: there were no cabins for changing clothes, sun beds, or food stands. Instead there was primordial, rebellious savagery, stood in the tall grass, growing through the white sand; there was a spirit of freedom, carried by the salty sea wind.
That One Beach was empty, except three of us, silently wandering along. What a wonderful excitement: you feel like you loose yourself, but find tranquility, being in a complete harmony with nature. Your lungs are full of fresh air, and your soul is giddy with hope and inspiration. So let the problems of the big world remain behind these hills; all, that surround you, are peace, the sky, the sea, and you must be somewhere in the middle, where they merge in a single infinite blueness.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About drivemeh0me


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Lithuania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.