Existing Member?

A journey to heaven

Nubia: When heaven is one hour away

EGYPT | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [253] | Scholarship Entry

In the morning, I went for a walk down in the village of Gharb Seheil, to get acquainted with the locals. I walked in the narrow and only road of the village of Gharb Seheil.
The first stop was a traditional Nubian house called Beit el temsah (house of the crocodile), I was welcomed by an old lady in black traditional dress & a black head scarf sitting on a bench in the room close to the door. I walked in a courtyard with sand all over its floor. On each of the walls surrounding the court yard was a painting of some aspect of life in Nubia, the sail boats on the nile, the people, the colorful houses. In the middle of the court stood a white ceramic basin that housed the alligator. As I stood there in shock, a young lady came out of a modest kitchen, used to having strangers walking around her house, she offered me some tea and smiled at my surprise to see the crocodile inside. She reassured me not to worry, raising pet crocodiles at home is an old Nubian tradition adopted when the Nubians were forced to relocate from their original habitats on the shores of the Nile, and hence, it was believed that they will never harm the kind people of Nubia.
My next stop was the new inn that recently opened in Nubia, it was called “Hadouta Masreya” (an Egyptian Tale), after a famous song for the most famous Nubian Egyptian artist Mohamed Mounir. I was very lucky to meet the owner and founder of the inn who welcomed me in, showed me the rooms. For her, it was all inspired by Mohamed Mounir who despite his fame and fortune, is still loyal to Nubia and how he's idolized by the people. Even with her corporate career in a multinational, she decided to get exceptional permits to have her own inn in Nubia. Hadouta Masreya is not only named after a famous song, in fact, each one of its rooms is named after a song for Mohamed Mounir. It’s a place built out of love and passion.
It was lunch time when I left, and luckily I was only 2 steps away was the village’s restaurant “Ounaty Ka”(house of the moon in Nubian). The decorations and the ambiance of the place was nothing short of breath taking, accompanied by the view of the nile from this higher level, it felt like heaven! After taking in the magic of the place.I was greeted by the most genuine smile. I ordered all of the house specials; traditional Occra called ‘Weka’ followed by minted tea. I sat there taking in the beauty of the scenery, heaven on earth, I couldn’t believe this place existed nor how did I end up here.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About drifter


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.