Existing Member?

namaste' my journey...

San Fernando ::: Philippines

PHILIPPINES | Friday, 10 April 2009 | Views [1098]

The Philippines is Southeast Asia’s largest Roman Catholic nation with a rich cultural heritage that is steeped in tradition.  For Filipinos in Pampanga, the observance is characterized by the “senakulo” or “pabasa” which is the chanting of the passion of the Christ as read from a book that locals call Pasyon.  Other penitents called “magdarame” carry wooden crosses, crawl on rough pavements and slash their backs before whipping themselves to draw blood, to ask for forgiveness of sins committed to fulfill religious vows (panata), or to express gratitude for favors granted.  On Good Friday each year, in the city of San Fernando, particularly in Barangay San Pedro Cutud, thousands flock to witness the world-renowned crucifixion that is re-enacted on a manmade hill after the two-hour street play, Via Crusis is performed as it has been done for the past 53 years.  We were one of these that went to observe.  I was an experience to see these believers getting literally nailed to the cross.  Many people wait in line to do this.  It was truly something worth seeing and experiencing.

 

About drea72


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.