Existing Member?

Lights will guide you home

Maya Bay

THAILAND | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [154] | Scholarship Entry

The mattress of my bed suddenly seemed to gradually disintegrate into tiny granules of sand. My blanket started sluggishly moving away from my body and then all at once, a jolt of cold gust woke me up and left me with goose bumps. As soon as my eyes opened, I realised my blanket was tugged away by my drunk and cold boyfriend who was now warmly sleeping away to glory and I had fallen asleep partially covered in white soft supple sand.
I rubbed my eyes with my sandy hands and sat up. The phrase “a sky full of stars” did not remotely do justice to how beautifully this sky of Maya Bay (you know the one where Leonardo DiCaprio flaunts his shirtless bod in ‘The Beach’) was bejewelled with these tiny shimmering balls of fire. The stars did not leave any scope for the darkness of the night to hit this secluded island.
All I could see before me was huge mysterious cliffs surrounding the beach and the glistering black and blue waves hitting the shore.
This was my perfect place to get lost; away from human invaders, a bright sky in the dark and the never ending black ocean in front of you. I had found my nirvana.
I have no recollection of as to why this sudden sense of adventure hit me and I decided to step into this ice cold water in search of the bioluminescent plankton. Not much to my surprise, the water turned out to be cold enough to leave my limbs numb and blue. I thought to myself - this is how it all ends; in my quest of glowing in the dark.
Soon I was neck deep into the dark water and there was nothing there beyond me, my numb limbs and the black water.
I started swimming deeper and soon then with my splash and movements, it was no longer dark. It was as if my fingertips, and legs, and toes were sparkling. With every flick of a finger, every twist of a limb, the water brightened and flickered around me with glowing, sparkling, shimmering plankton. I was swimming in a sea of a thousand stars and with another thousand stars above my head.
Soon I was floating and it was so placid and I was mesmerized in my own little cloud of sea sparkles. If this wasn’t perfection, I didn’t want to know what was.
Maybe it was the drinks. Or maybe my rumpled nerves. Or my lack of any sort of expectations from myself. Maybe it was the moonless night and lustrous sky. Whatever the magic ingredients were, this was one of few moments of my life that truly took my breath away. Science calls it planktons, I still call it magic.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About drashtithakrar


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.