Existing Member?

Taking the Dragons by storm

What can I say

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 15 December 2008 | Views [573]

What can I say, I love it here in new Zealand. On my arrival, I actaully missed my connecting flight because I was waiting at the wrong terminal. Though, I was waiting for the correct flight destination. So, I had to go through custums, collect my belongins which had been sitting on the baggage claim floor for a few hours and hike my way to the other terminal. This was no easy feat since I was carrying the weight load of a semi truck with all my belongings. Once I get to the check in counter, they notified me that my flight, which I had missed was actually delayed due to fog. YEAH!! I was put on the next flight to Christchurch and arrives a few hours later. In the hostel, it was easy to make friends and go out for dinner. Then a few days later I went to Akaroa, my new home and finally dropped off my semi load of stuff to the place where I curretnly reside. The social life here is great. Full of travelers who are working for the summer and we all need a friend. The locals are also very cool here. I recommend coming to Akaroa if not for any reason other than the stunning scenery. There are dolphins, penguins, fur seals, petrels, albastross, a guy who dresses up in french colonial gear on the weekends, and tons of international culture. We put on an american tradition of Thanksgiving and of the 15 people that came, only two were actually from the US. The others were NZ, Scottish, French, Dutsch, German, and Irish.

I aslo hooked up a job at a local deli where the people are friendly and the food is amazing. So now I know how to make coffee with a smile. MOD eat your heart out. The sailing is great here. Being on a peninsula, there is usually necer a lack of wind. I sail on a Farse 11.6 ( I think) with a great bunch of old dirty men. The vibe here is relaxed and friendly and thus I call it my home away from home. Christmas is soon, and we are hoping for warm weather to spend our day on the beach surfing and bar-b-queing. I have to be good on that night becuase work starts bright n early on the 26th (Boxing Day).

Yes, I am doing my seal research as well as all the affore mentioned things. The only problem is the weather is not deciding to cooperate right now as its been raining for the past few days. Ugh!!

Nugh of that for right now. Off to work

P.s. excuse the spelling.. I am not a pro

Tags: akaroa, fun, sailing

About dragon_slayer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.