Existing Member?

Boudhanath

Boudhanath Stupa, Buddhist Temple

NEPAL | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [179] | Scholarship Entry

Arriving in Kathmandu in Nepal can be an experience of organized chaos. After leaving the small brick airport, I was rushed by eager taxi drivers, knowing I was most likely heading to the tourist district of Thamel. Suddenly I was flying through the streets of Kathmandu, watching out of an open van door as unfamiliar sights went by: open fires in the streets, wandering livestock, and vehicles of all shapes and sizes winding wildly.

The discovery of Boudhanath Stupa, a Buddhist temple in the center of Kathmandu, was a welcome oasis of peace and beauty. Founded over 1500 years ago, Boudhanath stands tall and imposing, its large white dome topped with a tower. Buddha's eyes are painted on all sides of the tower, giving one the sense that the building is a living being. Tibetan monks have a monastery here, and their orange robes add a vibrancy to the already colorful scene. Thousands of prayer flags hang from the top of the tower to the street below. Offerings of incense are burned and bells are sounded.

A visitor to Boudhanath is advised to walk clockwise around the dome, spinning the prayer wheels around the outer perimeter. This gives Boudhanath a kinetic energy; a parade of people constantly keep the wheels spinning. Inside the Tibetan complex is a huge golden buddha, another wonder to add to this magical place. There is a building where visitors can see artists work on mandala paintings, an ancient tradition that depicts the complexities of buddhist cosmology. Upon exiting the temple area, the sound and chaos of the Kathmandu streets returns immediately. I'm sure the peaceful and contemplative atmosphere of Boudhanath is appreciated by both residents and travelers.

Since the recent massive earthquakes, Nepal has been on my mind constantly. The Boudhanath stupa still stands, but it may have significant damage. I hope travelers continue to experience Nepal and support their fragile economy as much as possible. Nepal is filled with beautiful landscapes and amazingly warm people, but they lack a government that can adequately modernize the country. Boudhanath is just one of many spectacular places this country has to offer.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About dpapa


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.