Existing Member?

Truly Beautiful British Columbia

Wild and untamed - The Pacific Rim

CANADA | Thursday, 14 May 2015 | Views [182] | Scholarship Entry

Thinking of surfing, you might imagine coconut palms, crystal clear water and tanned beach chicks. Well, when I think of surfing, I dream of rough waves, lush Douglas Fir along the shore and an outdoor shower, covered in icicles. Clearly, my idea of the perfect surf spot and day may seem a bit odd – but you might change your mind, after I’ve told you about the place that made me want to surf in winter.

As long as I can think back, I’ve always loved surfing. For years, I did nothing more than watch the wave-tamers who seemed to know no fear. Later on, I swam out as far as I dared, to understand the beauty of the waves. But to finally hop on a board myself, I had not only to get as old as twenty-seven - I had to fall madly in love: with Canada’s West Coast.

The Pacific Rim is an untamed place, wild and simple
You just arrived at the end of the world. Literally. There is only one road on Vancouver Island taking you out west. When you get to its last junction, both legs end right by the ocean. From here it’s only wilderness, water and beaches with enchanting names: Schooner Cove, Rosie’s Bay, and Florentia, one more wondrous than the other. In the summer season, the Pacific Rim is the 'not-so-secret-anymore’ secret-spot in British Columbia. Especially the small hippie-town Tofino is packed with people. But when the first snow finally covers the parking lot, you only share the water with those who burn with love for the place.

For me, the Pacific Rim always feels untamed, even wild, with its forests of Sitka Spruce, dripping moss and otherworldly ferns. Most days in winter, the fog rises magically from between the tree tops, lingering there as if a huge giant was smoking his pipe. One day a well-fed black bear may sit in the middle of the road and block your way. Cougar, deer, elk and bear, they are sometimes just an arm’s length away from us. Usually, we don’t even notice, but they’re always out there – this is their paradise.

Feel alive - at the end of the world
This morning the boardwalk down to the beach is covered with frost, glittering in the sunlight. Wisps of breath swirl around your face. You run down to the lapping waves, slither on your board and start to paddle. The air is crisp, the world smells of salt and seaweed. You are all by yourself when the first icy breaker hits you with full force. The cold cuts through your body, sharp as a knife. Your heart starts pumping and you finally feel truly alive. It is winter - at the end of the world.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About doyoudare


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.