Existing Member?

A Slow Walk Around Places I like to meander, in life, in my travels, and in my writing.

Cradle Mountain

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [137] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

Crisp clean air that makes you feel like you are drinking the cleanest of cold water, the smell of slightly damp piney rainforest, the gentle sound of lapping water, and an amazing double peaked mountain on the other side of the lake. For years Cradle Mountain has been a favourite day trip for the Tasmanians of the north coast region, it’s world famous Overland Track attracts hikers from all over, and the romantic Cradle Mountain Lodge woos the holiday makers from the mainland. Cradle Mountain is my favourite place on earth, granted, I haven’t been everywhere yet, but so far it is winning.
On a clear summers day, the peaks stark against clean blue sky and the sun sparkling off Dove Lake make you feel like you have walked into a postcard, only to find yourself greeted by the local wildlife, usually a small dark wallaby seeking some food. During winter the mountain may be often shrouded but, the soft pure white snow more than makes up for it, the dark brown wooden cabins hidden in the bush and coated in snow look like well frosted chocolate cakes.
At most two hours from any major town on the north coast of Tasmania, Cradle Mountain - Lake St Clair National Park is well serviced and family friendly. There are many things to do including the Devils@Cradle Tasmanian Devil Sanctuary and small walks. My favourite walk however is the two hour Dove Lake Circuit.
I take the walk heading east, or to the left of the lake when looking at the mountain. The walk takes me over the grasslands, into the dense rainforest at the base of Cradle Mountain then along the western shore of the lake back to the car park. Although not too strenuous, it’s enough to bring the hidden hiker in anyone.
For serious hikers there are multi day tracks in the Lake St. Clair section of the park, and the Overland Track itself starts at the visitor centre on the Cradle Mountain side.
There is a limit to how many cars can drive up to Dove Lake, but buses run between the visitor centre and the lake during the day. If it is a snow day you are after, getting the lake become harder, but great snow fields perfect for children can be found around the visitor centre.
Admission to the park is currently set at $16.50 per person per 24hrs which is more than half the price of an annual pass, so if you are staying overnight or travelling into other parks in the state I suggest getting a pass from Parks & Wildlife Tasmania.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

Comments

1

Thanks for sharing the info. We are going to Tasmania in October and putting together our itinerary. Going to try the caravan thing. Good luck with the contest.

  Jim May 21, 2015 4:08 AM

About dovehoward21

Port Broughton Hotel, South Australia - September 2014

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.