Existing Member?

Lost in the madness

Lost in London

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [112] | Scholarship Entry

I had awoken early in the morning to what is known as typical British weather, cold and overcast. My mood was not to be dampened by the banal weather as I make my way to Birmingham New Street station. I am on my way to London, a megacity that as much as it has evolved with the changing times, still tends to reveal its older, more extravagant beauty.
Arriving at London Euston station with little more than a backpack, I immediately get on to the famous Underground.
My first stop of the day is Trafalgar Square, a bustling tourist attraction in the centre of the city. With the statue of Admiral Horatio Nelson standing high and proud above the square, I indulge in a spot of people watching.
Intrigued, I travel to Tower Bridge, the iconic symbol of London. While standing at the side of the mighty Thames, the senses sing with the rhythms of the bustling city as cars, busses, trains and boats make their way along their various routes. Before me, as my witness, the majestic Tower Bridge effortlessly raises her bascule to allow a tall sail boat to pass. A rare spectacle to behold.
In the fading light, I stand in the energetic Leicester Square, the neon lights inviting all to enjoy the countless bars, clubs and theatres tailor made for every desire. Meandering along the pavement, I begin to salivate as the aroma of Chinese cuisine fills the air. All the activity coupled with the vibrant energies of London forces me to stand still for a moment to absorb the unique essence of this truly global city. Leicester square is a wonderful place to be as the exciting areas of Piccadilly Circus, Covent Gardens and Oxford Circus are all within easy walking distance.
I discover the stairs to the Underground, I face a sign, "Camden", and without thought I step into a train. Camden, a feast of art and culture, a banquet of music merging genres from folk to metal, supporting an energy of bohemian tradition. I am overwhelmed and inspired. Filled with visions and inspiration that I am sure will last my lifetime, I tear myself away to reflect, and stumble on the historic Prince of Wales pub. Consciously, I make my way to the bar seeking a thirst quencher and accidentally bump into a person next to me. As we exchange apologies, he recommends I try the Abbot Ale. While sipping on my drink we engage in conversation and I am delighted to discover that there is another person in London that comes from further south than I do, Australia.
I'll never forget the day that I got lost in London.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About dougiefick


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.