Existing Member?

don and peties nepal trek

Back to Namche or something

NEPAL | Friday, 18 April 2008 | Views [712] | Comments [4]

Hi Folks, Back in Namche Bazzar. Our trek went a little like this. Our first objective was achieved early on. Landing at Lukla airport. It has a well deserved reo\putation as being the best tennis court above 3500 m. There is enough rubber on the runway to re-thong the population of India three times over. We were cordially met by our agents representative who posesed our return tickets and said "see you in three weeks". With a pocket map of the Everest region in hand, we were off. Gokyo 4765m was to be our next goal.  We headed into the Khumbu region through a valley created by the mighty Dudh Koshi River.  As a river, it struggles for attention with the peaks that emerge above it.  Our attention only drawn to it when we are peched ovet it on some little better than makeshift excuse for a bridge.  Prayer flags and offering scalfs seem to be the glue that keep these suspension bridges together.   We visited places such as \namch, Dole, Gokyo and Dingboche, to name the more pronouncable villages.   In these pleces (marked with a hazard warning on most maps), we shared tibetan bread and Dahl Bart with the locals and members of the united natins of treckers.  There were the french canadians who were summiting this season,  the americans who had had enough of George Bush and had headed for the Himalayas, the polish in black lycra pants and knee high black sock and the seweds who knew not one word of our version of the Swedish National Anthem.  There was even a japanese guy with a flag of the rising sun stuck in his pack looking for a peak to plant it on.  He was avoided  aat all cost s and we didn't mention the war. We got within spitting distance of Everest Base camp which was not so plesant for those infront of us.  A couple of bouts of tummy wogs and the like aacombind with the odd out of season blizzard meeant that ew were about  three days short of an everest picnic.

With lips that resemble two ploughed fields, I have discovered that walking amongst mountains is  far more satisfying than climbing to the top of any particular one.  Don while still removing remnants of several nesting attempts by the local bird life from his beard, is considering the advantages of airial photography.

Two intraped trickers.

Pete and Don

Comments

1

Hey Lup Lup and Peter,
Wow sounds amazing, looks like you had a great trip. You didn't just go and stand in a valley with mountains around, then head back to the hotel for a beer did you? What happened to Everest?
Everyone can't wait to see you and hear all about it, mum said you were very impressed with Nepals plumbing dad so can't wait for all those stories. Well by the time I see you again Ronno all the weight will be back so I hope you got some photos for proof.
Keep trekking on Luppas..
Robbie XXXXXX

  katie_rose Apr 19, 2008 9:23 AM

2

Hi Petey and Donny,
You really gave me a good laugh Petey. I guess a blizzard wasn't part of the excitement you were expecting but a new experience anyway. Those Swedes are a disgrace to their nation, you boys know that song (and tune) perfectly. I'm glad you're having a good time and Donny-remember the image of budgie smuggling!
Love Jen

  Jen Apr 19, 2008 10:24 AM

3

G'Day Pete & Don,
I'm so glad I did'nt let you guys talk me into going, from the photos and stories I've read it looks like hard work,and Ive always believed in what Oscar Wilde said about work;"work is the scrouge of the drinking class".
The pumpkins have been slowing up since the weather has been so cold,probably not as cold as where you guys are.Have you seen any pumpkin patches on your travels? If you do,can you take notes on the varietys they grow there and care they give their pumpkins.I believe that one day pumpkins will unite the world.I already have a slogan,"MAKE PUMPKIN SOUP NOT WAR".
You were right about the rats eating the pumpkins Pete [when are you ever wrong],we lost about a dozen but picked heaps more than that.I've now put out some TALON and the rats have been eating it like Donny on one of Jane's pavlovas.
I love you guys so stay safe.

  KEVIN LOUGHLAND Apr 19, 2008 12:21 PM

4

Hi Don,( and Pete)
I got back to work and you were gone on your BIG TREK!
Just hope you are taking care as we all miss you at work and want you to return to us. Gotta take my hat off to you for doing this. Tried any of the local wines there yet? Looking forward to seeing the pics. Look after yourselves and keep enjoying the trek.
Margarete

  marg jackman Apr 23, 2008 5:31 PM

About donny77


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.