Existing Member?

Rambo – Wat A True Inspiration!

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 19 April 2012 | Views [153] | Scholarship Entry

The atmosphere was electric, gently bubbling beneath the surface of a thousand faces. Air thick with anticipation, hushed tones of visitors contrasted starkly with urgent voices of local children, weaving like an army of colourful ants selling their wares. I was about to experience the wonder of Angkor Wat at sunrise.
A young Cambodian boy of around 10 suddenly appeared, introducing himself with a polite, self-assured handshake as ‘Rambo’. His quirky approach and endearingly impressive command of English saw me ordering a morning shot of caffeine and off he ran like a whippet kicking up red dust around his hardened feet. As the hot Asian sun peeked over the horizon, Rambo took a place next to me and affectionately leant his head on my shoulder as we silently watched the sunrise side by side.
After this special moment, I asked Rambo about his life. Waking early, he sells drinks before leaving for school and returning afterwards to sell various goods. “It can be hard work sometimes” he tells me, a touch of melancholy clouding his young face. Listening intently to this animated boy with beautiful chocolate eyes and the enthusiasm of 10 children, I am struck by the injustice of his nominal choices. He would be unlikely to ever experience the incredible variety this world has to offer. In areas of affluence, such a smart, entertaining, hardworking character would be rewarded with countless choices in careers and lifestyles. Location had locked Rambo’s future before he had even made his entrance.
This powerful realization stunned me into silence, the incredible pang of guilt forcing me to lower my eyes. Never again would I underestimate the power of choice I possessed. Since that day I see life through different eyes; I have made many positive changes and prepared amazing future plans. A chance encounter has changed my life and I will never forget that little boy. We have the power to choose our own cards; we owe it to Rambo to play our hand beautifully.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About donnamariejackson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.