Existing Member?

Footloose Foot-outs

Discovering the Joy of Troubles

JAPAN | Thursday, 21 May 2015 | Views [168] | Scholarship Entry

We were promised a seafood buffet at the end of our cultural immersion in Japan. In the past 7 days, the only fish we ate was salmon and we can’t help but crave for other swimming chows. So when the Farewell Night came, we were really excited to chat and chew with our host families.
The tongue twisting food-list of sushi, sashimi, tempura, onigiri, and more made me really excited to snap the chopsticks and utter, “Itadakimasu!”
Because that was my first seafood bonanza, I found myself carrying two plates towards the dining table. Defensive as it may seem, I only wanted to make a review for every food. I swear, I only took one of each kind but everything won’t fit in a single plate.
After happily consuming my dinner, I sensed a kick in my stomach. It was as if coarse rocks were traveling slowly through my intestines. At that time, a group was playing the traditional Japanese drum called Taiko. In every hit and blow, I felt like something’s about to burst from my food basin!
I still remember the agony of wanting to go to the rest room as fast as possible. Instead I went slowly because if not dealt with care, something might spill uncontrollably.
It was a long novena in the bathroom. I went to look for my tour supervisor afterwards to ask for aid. The tingle got worse as if I was being punished with claws scratching through my gastronomic walls for the sin of incarcerating sea creatures.
When I went back to the conference hall, I saw my host family waving at me. They were carrying their camera which made me walk towards them in a strained smile. Everything was in slow motion as we took pictures together. Smiling was as hard as doing the 99th push-up.
After the longest 5 minutes of my life, I quickly asked for the capsule of salvation. Thanks to the medication, I was able to feel ease and share good stories before bidding farewell to my host family.
I can still hear the soundless shout of pain whenever I stare at the obligatory smiles I had on those pictures. But for me, that pain was sweet. The slow-running time it caused, made my mind register the laughs we shared together. Until now, I can’t help but smile in joy whenever I remember the happy faces of my Japanese friends.
Troubles are worth discovering. Aside from the practical lessons to be gained, it is the laughter brought by remembering uneasy moments that prove them worthwhile. As for this digestive-coaster experience, I will definitely make sure that I have a magic bean on my next adventurous meal.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About domyson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.