Existing Member?

An Aquarian Exposition

An Aquarian Exposition

SPAIN | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [227] | Scholarship Entry

Ill never forget the day that time lapsed into night, a moment later into day, the stars moved forward with the moon into night, while the sun rose over Can Toni mountains, the new day that led to the evening of the greatest shakedown boogie I have ever experienced!

Saturday, 11 January 2014. I’m leaving Ibiza in 2 days, but, tonight, BEHOLD! We are off to the Famous Flower Power in San Antonio.

In the pulse of summer the west end is inebriated with trance - nutter chav’s…but this winter’s night, hippies dance these streets, Flower Power Love, 60s / 70’s rock ‘n roll funk and disco to tantalise and tease every fibre of being. Tonight! I am Hippy in full force! Tonight, we dance!

Firstly, off to the hippy market in San Jordi we go, any excuse to dress up! The old Hippodrome is full of bits and pieces, clothes,toys, hula hoops, wigs, cameras, Himalyan Prayer Flags, jewellry, the joys of the hustle and bustle of digging for a good find. Many barter trades later, we rest our bottoms on the concrete steps. Wafting in the cool winter breeze, the smell of incense, drumming djembes and heartbeats form song, pulsating on the soundwaves. Bodies dance to the rhythm of highs…

The Art of Ridiculousness - Chasing sunsets, an Iberican delacy celebrating the oncoming night. Being a Night Owl is a natural state of being on this island.

We arrive at San An. Gluttony to our senses. Together we step through the swirling portal, back in time to “An Aquarian Exposition”. Every ediface of street is filled with beautiful people dancing, laughing, boogying, hips swinging, jiving, shimmy shaking.
Mobile little stages, pulled by mini traktors with 3, 4 piece bands, drumming, singing, jamming their guitars for us street ally crowds, before moving onto the next street, pockets of delight, as tempo increased and Love elevated…

Our ears followed an aesthetic maze of crude directions to mates who were, on vinyl, mixing up a plethora of olde skool songs on the balcony of a little bar, dripping and oozing undertones of funk. So dirty these beats, that the sound waves carrying rainbow pockets of this disco, burst, raining upon us, splashing every elemental, so ecstatic we are, right at the centre point of pure, unadulterated, Rock and Roll!

Dominique Wiggill
South Africa

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About dominique


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.