Existing Member?

citymike

Phnom Penh

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 26 April 2006 | Views [796] | Comments [3]

I stayed at the Foreign Correspondents Club (FCC). As one would expect the rooms were of a high quality and the beds even had a duvet, but they weren't half noisy. My room is not in the main building and after settling in I had to walk back to the main building, past beggars, to the stairs to the rooftop restaurant. Fear not, the beggars didn't disturb me too much, after 6 months in South East Asia I know that the threat of a horse whipping soon makes that lot go quiet. Phnom Penh is dirty, it reminds me of India, but with a lot more and a lot stranger flying insects.

Today I went to the Royal Palace. It's quite an impressive place but it's a pity I went so shortly after visiting the Grand Palace in Bangkok which I think is more impressive. The Budhás in Phnom Penh were more impressive and the guide was better value. The guide told me that the Khmer Rouge didn't ransack the place but they didn't look after it either so parts are still shabby. Did you know that they are still expecting another, final, Budha.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Hi Mike,

good to see you enjoy Phnom Penh (mind spelling). Hope you an opportunity to visit Cambodia, its just 10 minutes from Phnom Penh.

Enjoy Cambodia,
Stefan

  Cambodia Log Apr 27, 2006 12:18 AM

2

Stefan, thanks for being you!!

  doherty1957 Apr 27, 2006 2:05 PM

3

I also love Cambodia and the people are nice and speak English well. They have a nice culture and they are friendly to foreigners and you can see why so many Europeans settled down here.

However unless you are at a top hotel or restaurant the places to eat are not clean enough. I went to two Lucky Burgers and saw roaches at both of them. The manager just sat there.

Break out the bug spray!

  Hillary C Sep 12, 2009 4:27 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.