Existing Member?

citymike

Mue Ni

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 4 April 2006 | Views [1382]

Or something similar. This was a very quiet resort but it was off season. I did enjoy lazing by the pool but I decided that I should do something so I took a half day tour. First we visited white sand dunes, and area next to a lake which is like a very small Sahara desert, about 2 sq. km. Then I was taken to some red sand dunes which weren't quite as impressive. Next we wentto some eroded rocks, a bit like Badlands in South Dakota. Finally I went for a walk up the magical stream, a very shallow river with a sand bed and more badlands type rock which was very beautiful.

The kids here are very innocent, they've learned nothing since the Gary Glitter affair. I was walking down the street at 10pm and a young lad starts following me. He just wanted to walk with a westerner but I wasvery aware that other people would see me walking at night with a young boy and come to the wrong conclusion so I managed to get rid of him. Likewise when Iwas walking along the magical river, some young boys tagged along as guides and that was ok because everyone walking the river had young guides but would parents allow that to happen in the UK?

I went for a stroll in a fishing village near Mue Ni and I got lost. I noticed that although most of the people were happy to see a westerner there were one or two young men who were surly. I noticed that again today when I went for a bus ride back in Ho Chi Minh City. It seems that those that live off tourists are happy to see them but others resent rich tourists or maybe just westerners. Any opinions gratefully received.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.