Existing Member?

citymike

The beggars of Pondicherry

INDIA | Sunday, 12 February 2006 | Views [639]

They're totally unprofessional, if there were a professional body I would report them. On numerous ocassions, and I have only been here 4 days, I have come across beggars eating who will interrupt their meal to hold out their hand to me for money whilst rubbing their stomach with their other hand to indicate that they have no food. It doesn't look good, does it? Pondicherry is another place where I have never seen children begging, the other place being Ernakulam. The fact that I see beggars eating a lot here suggests to me that they do have a social service. I'm not suggesting that they are looked after so well that there's no need to beg but at least have the decency to beg only between meals and don't pull that awful "I'm just about to faint through starvattion" face.

Apart from that Pondicherry has been very nice except for yesterday when all the bars were shut as it was a "dry day". I found a roof top restaurant which still had some beer and I'm proud to say that I drunk them dry but I only came across them by accident. Fancy having a dry day on Saturday. Strange place, India.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.