Existing Member?

The Island of Dugi Otok

The discovery of Telašcica in Dugi Otok

CROATIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [151] | Scholarship Entry

We had barely landed on the Dalmatian coast that my friend and I jumped on the first ferry to the neighboring islands of the Adriatic Sea. From the coastal city of Zadar in Croatia, we landed on Dugi Otok, a charming island free from any urban turbulence that I have been accustomed to living in.

We were the only tourists aboard accompanied by a few children coming home from school on the continent. A rather pleasing sign as we had been told of the massive touristic wave to Croatia in recent years and were convinced that we would find the hidden gems of Croatia. We weren’t to the last of our surprises.

A women waiting for us on the quay offered us a room for the night. It was not until the next morning, when we woke up to a stunning view of the Port and the open ocean that we agreed this accommodation was more impressive than any hotel we had ever slept in.

The warm weather of May and the clear blue sky suggested to us that the best way to explore the surroundings was by sea. We didn’t have to fight for the only two kayaks available seeing as we were the only tourists from the latest ferry arrival. We headed south to the protected parts of Dugi Otok, towards Telašcica Natural Park, a place dominated by wildlife and vegetation.

There is nothing like the sensation of witnessing something unique for the first time. This rare vision of the magical landscape that spread in front of my eyes has remained freshly engraved in my memory. As we rowed in the bay of this immense lake surrounded by islets covered in green pastures and forests, we let the silence take its place and let our eyes capture the show. It was a perfectly still ride interrupted by our spontaneous dives into the undisturbed water.

Like human nature predicts, we were curious to discover more about the mysteries hidden behind the island’s thick trees. As the sun was slowly dimming down, we set out for the highest part of the island to catch the sunset. We reached the peak of the cliff in time to see what is still to this day the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen, reflecting off the bare cliffs of southern Telašcica. The last sun rays gave off an intense orange color as the sun disappeared behind the horizon and a boat not bigger than my fingernail could be seen sailing below our feet, also a witness to this moment. A mix of vertigo and excitement replenished me with a serene energy that finally allowed me enjoy this precise moment and think of nothing else but my freedom as a traveler.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About dogiotok


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.