Existing Member?

A Doctor's Selfie

A doctor's Selfie

PAKISTAN | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [289] | Scholarship Entry

I am a doctor, a real doctor. I was born and lived in a small town of Pakistan. I completed the studies and decided to go to the capital, Islamabad, for one year clinical training.
It seems childish but I was 24 yet I never went alone anywhere so away from home. It was winter, cold days and nights. We're so accustomed to living at temperatures of 50 centigrade that 10 centigrade looked freezingly cold. Islamabad would be much colder I knew. I packed everything and caught the bus. It was the first time I was going alone, to the city I have never seen before. My father called me when I was en route and wished me good luck. As I hung up the phone, the tears started to flow and I cried in my heart, 'I love you, Baba, I do love you'. I still remember the moment, I was thinking I'm nothing without my parents and how much they've cared for me over the years and how much I miss them already.
It was 16 hour journey. When I reached, it was 4am. It was raining. It was cold, I can tell you, it was very cold for me. I was wearing a sweater, a coat and a muffler yet my bones were shivering. I rent a taxi, got my luggage and went for Sitara market to see a hotel. I haven't seen the Sitara market but I was been told I will get a reasonable hotel there. I was anxiously looking from the car window and everything looked different. The roads were wide, clean, well lit, greenery all around, no sound, totally serene. The window became fuzzy as I breathed. I was nervous, a bit afraid, yet there was an indescribable pleasure that am here, all by myself. I didn't know where I was going but I was hopeful I will reach somewhere safe.
I reached the market, booked a hotel and tried to sleep but I couldn't. There were a lot of thoughts running in my mind, a lot of things I had to do, a lot of things that might go wrong. As I was wondering over, the alarm rang and it was 7.30 am. I got prepared and went for the PIMS hospital to start my training.
As I reached, the hospital was immense, unlike where I studied during my graduation. It was cleaner, developed, more departments, more facilities. People were unfamiliar, different, beautiful and wearing thick clothes. I was in a different place, quite different where I spent my 24 years of my life.
This was the first time I traveled alone and the first time I felt I can handle the things. I was someone from a small town but now I was in the capital. I felt can live here, I can prosper, I can survive; and yes, I survived.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About doctor


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Pakistan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.