Existing Member?

Docandjanetsgapyear

Finally in Argentina

ARGENTINA | Friday, 1 March 2013 | Views [265]

Managing to complete everything we needed to do with 12 minutes to spare we caught the train to Sydney and met up with Rob amd Jan Gray and Jane and Bob Fraser to have a meal in Chinatown and watch the parade...what a great way to start a journey.

Our flight to Beunos Aires was delayed but was nothing compared to  our first introduction to South American air travel when our connecting flight was delayed and changed from gate 19 to 17b to 15 and finally leaving 2 hours later from gate 10!!

Buenos Aires was very interesting but I will never forget my first introduction to South American driving! Thank God I did not hire a car!

Janet and I enjoyed a tour of BA. Where else could you bump into Maradona in a toilet! We walked around the city and went to a tango show which was fantastic.

We then travelled to Iguazu Falls which is an awesome place. We observed the falls at three  levels and enjoyed a jet boat trip to the face of the falls which was very wet but outstanding. We enjoyed Iguazu and then travelled to Salta which is in the north west of Argentina. We did not expect to end up in a city of 600,000  people. We thought we were going to a small country town. We took a gondola to a point above the city which gave us a real perspective of the size of the city. We took a tour of Cafayate which is about 200 km south of Salta. We travelled through one of the most amazing series of valleys and gorges to get there and enjoyed a wine tasting at a local vineyard.

The next day we travelled north of Salta following the Rio Grand again through some of the most amazing valley. We visited Inca villages and ate lama!

I will remember Argentina more for the countryside than for the cities which I found somewhat depressing with poverty and slum like areas.

The food was excellent if you enjoy meat and litres off beer!

About docandjanet


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.