Existing Member?

Crossroads of Humanity

Catching a Moment - The Lost Childhood

INDIA | Thursday, 28 February 2013 | Views [333] | Scholarship Entry

It was one of those dreaded summer day when no-one dares to venture out in the sun. I sat fuming down on the pavement and bought a pack of juice ,that was when a gentle tug drew my attention.

A dirty yellow shirt, three size too large and a number of brightly colored patches that held the piece together. His hair a mass of tangled curls, barely five. He thanked me with a two-tooth grin. I saw him approach everyone, barefoot he walked on the scorching road, for a pair of slipper is nothing but sheer luxury. The innocent smile seldom left his face, even though a few, wolfing the local delicacies, shrugged him off as if he were an inanimate object.

He stopped, as his emotions went from sanguine joy to downright astonishment. I traced his gaze to see what had caught his attention and I saw another five-year old . Dressed in blue linen that fit him just right, a pair of branded denim that had his favorite cartoon characters, chasing each other from one pocket to other and his shoes made him stand a little taller. But beyond the social dimensions that fate had endowed on them, they were the same.

For a fleeting moment, it seemed as though the curtains that hid one world from the other stood drawn apart and finally the two could see what was on the other side. For what does a five-year old know about the world. They shook hands and in mere seconds, a bond forged.
Just then the mother turned and looked aghast,” Oh my god! So dirty” she exclaimed and drew her child away from him.” How many times have I told you ?” She went on chiding as she took a fresh tissue and spare change from her purse.

A different look settled on their faces now and the defiant differences stood gaping. As the child went on with his mother,the other stood,expectantly,waiting for him to look back…..

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About dnegi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.