Existing Member?

Italy

History and Opera: The San Carlo Opera House

ITALY | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [145] | Scholarship Entry

Italians often say, "Naples is a beautiful woman with dirty feet." The city of Naples, Italy is a plethora of cultures and influences, hodge-podged together over centuries into an Italian landscape ripe with archeological and agricultural beauty. I was, and still am, a devout student of anything historical. I had walked through churches, cathedrals, castles, and catacombs throughout Italy, but had yet to step foot in to one of the most renowned treasures of Naples: The San Carlo Opera House. Located in the center of downtown Naples, The San Carlo is one of the oldest operating opera houses in the world. Opened in 1737, it is still hosting performances. When I finally bought two tickets to see an Opera, my husband and I were thrilled and exited to mark one more thing off of our 'Italian experience' bucket list. We dressed in our finest threads and drove into the chaos of the city. You know the expression, "Walking into another time?" That was exactly what happened to us. Climbing centuries old winding marble steps to our box level and locating our box door, we entered and came face to face with a thick red velvet curtain. Behind the curtain was a private and small enclosed space with 4 wooden chairs tucked up under a red velvet lined balcony ledge. The open balcony gave us a direct view of the stage and the hundreds of other boxes to the right, left, above, and below us. The boxes lined the red velvet covered interior of the opera house, all the way up to the edge of the stage. The royal box, used for centuries by monarchs, nobles, dictators, and dignitaries was lit as if awaiting special occupants. Prior to the show, my husband and I couldn't help but people watch and stare in awe at the painted frescoes on the ceiling. The lights dimmed and the orchestra swelled. The show began and the lilting sopranos, deep baritones, and incredible music mesmerized us. We were held in a trance from which we did not want to wake. The walls between time and culture were crashing around us. I expected to look into the box next to us and find corseted women fanning themselves next to gentlemen in powdered wigs. I felt as if I had stepped through time and was sharing space with men and women of antiquity. At the conclusion of the performance, my husband and I stood in awed ovation. History, music, language, and emotion had converged into a defining travel moment for us. Memories are best made through experience.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About dmonkee80

Castle D'ouvo (the egg castle in the Bay of Naples)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.