Existing Member?

Doing the Impossible

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

EL SALVADOR | Thursday, 24 March 2011 | Views [297] | Scholarship Entry

Rosary beads swing rhythmically from the rear view mirror as bus number 811 climbs the Sierra Apaneca-Ilamatepec in Western El Salvador. It is Friday afternoon and spirits are high aboard the recommissioned school bus. Salvadoran cowboys flash smiles decorated with gold, matriarchs search for places to store their basins of tortilla dough, and children fix curious stares on me. This is the trail to Parque Nacional El Imposible.

El Imposible encompasses 9,000 acres of endangered mountainous habitat. It was established in 1989, and is operated by Salvanatura, a non-governmental organization based in San Salvador. Their staff is visibly surprised by my arrival. I pay the six dollar entrance fee and become the sole inhabitant of El Salvador's premier tropical dry forest. While setting up camp, I can see past the foothills to the mighty Pacific. The Earth's only sun is melting in to the ocean, throwing the full spectrum of orange across the evening sky. Night falls and I sleep beneath a moonless canvas brushed thick with stars.

I rise at first light and hike to the park's highest point, Cerro El Leon. Along the well-maintained trail I encounter armadillos, coatis, and agoutis. Soaring vultures circle above and hummingbirds dart between trees. From the summit I can see the southwestern peaks of Guatemala and the rivers that run westerly from the mountain to the nearby coast, forming the Barra de Santiago estuary.

The next morning, roadside roosters trumpet my departure from El Imposible. The bus driver navigates the careening descent down the cobblestone road, greeting each passenger by name. I soon arrive in the village of Barra de Santiago, which connects the Pacific Ocean to the mangrove forest of the estuary.

Mangrove is the common name given to any species of tree able to survive in salt water. These halophytic marvels create an excellent habitat for juvenile wildlife. A local fisherman agrees to rent his hand made canoe and I paddle through the shallow water to explore the towering nursery.

As I creep through the Western Hemisphere's most important waterfowl nesting ground, the plentiful bird calls mix with the steady crash of the nearby Pacific. Beyond the treetops are the misty peaks of the Apaneca-Ilamatepec. Amongst the roots of the Red Mangroves, baby crocodiles are propelling themselves through the water, hunting sardines that stray too close to the surface. The apex predator's strong population signifies a healthy ecosystem.

With my exploring spirit satisfied, I return to the village and hang my hammock beneath the shady palm thatch. In view of the estuary and the ocean, I reflect on the solitude I have enjoyed in Western El Salvador. It is an adventurer's paradise, and a well positioned port of call on the trail between Antigua and Leon. The travellers will soon come.

While the sun once again fulfils its obligation to the west, a passing flock of white egrets flirt with a breaking wave. I leave here, hopeful that the Salvadorans navigate their oncoming wave with a similar grace.

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About dkillorn

Satisfaction

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about El Salvador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.