Existing Member?

54 Days in the Deep end

Thaland, Bangkok day 1

THAILAND | Thursday, 18 September 2014 | Views [346]


From the airport, empty at these late hrs to the streets of the city.  My journey starts in Thailand. I know only how to say thank you, hop kom pra.
After trying to sleep for just a bit in the airport terminal to rest a bit and to burn a little time before I head down to central Bangkok; I grab a taxi. Every one has been very helpful and I remember  that I must keep my speech simple, the idea only. Where can I find a plug to charge my phone is the action of pointing to the low battery symbol on my phone.  Asking where a bathroom that isn't currently closed for clearing a mix of hand gestures pointing to the closed facility and receiving an arm gesture back the other way. Communication reduced  to the simplest of principals.   all very willing to assist how they can even if it is to point to someone else.  I switch my shoes to my athletic shoes, not realizing yet that my sandals are really what I am going to want later.  I make my way out to where I the taxis would be just as a very large tour group is rushing down the stairs. I had noticed a few Thai girls dressed in some traditional garb earlier. It is now obvious that they were here to meet this group.
The cabi is very nice and as we are driving down the express way I start to see the differences. I am glad at this point that it is 3:30am and the roads are empty.  It seems everything is more of just a recommendation. This includes the use of turn signals. They have their system and to them it is as good as anything.   The roads twist and whined between the narrow corridors of buildings that are purposed for everything.  They stand shadowing each other in various states and conditions.  It breathes this is all I need. 
The taxi drive lets me out at my destination giving the names of the streets  and  pointing out area of town and I am loose, alone on the streets an hour still before the ferry company opens its doors.  The air is damp and feels heavy. Like the air is literally gently working its way into you. It is barely 4am and people are hanging out, lounging in the open street side cafes. No one is sleeping  here. They are out to enjoy a little relaxation.  It is not busy by any means there are empty seats every where. It us just laid back and totally relaxed. 
Two gentlemen  of  a European background recognize my wandering state of 'I am here  and waiting, now what do I do.'.   Martin and Michael, both residing in Germany are back again to this little cafe/bar on the start of another adventure. They are on their way to Miramar.  Michaels brother had been some years ago before the borders were open and now they are preparing themselves by beating in the life of Bangkok.  As I can attest, right as you step off the plane and out of the airport you can taste the city and feel its life.  You can taste the restless city and something delicious being cooked  everywhere. And it is true. There are street vendors are everywhere stirring up a pan of taste bud excitement.  But life here isn't all quaint. It is like its buildings holding darker things.  We hear a girls voice upset about something, a bottle smash on the ground, and turn to see a thai girl angered and slapping at some European guy right next to the motor bike here and her girl friend were riding on the back of.  The situation obviously escalates and although not really fighting back has obviously enraged this  woman and isn't making it any better. He might have been retreating from the situation, but he made quite an error in what looked like throwing the girl to the ground. An inappropriate action in most any case. This is not an action taken lightly and the Thai are a very proud  people and mire then willing to stand up for each other even if they have no idea who the person is. No sooner had the situation changed from the the girl displaying her strong disapproval to an action against her that four other Thai guys, all less then half the size of this guy, jump into action.  You do not disrespect and you especially do not assault a lady. This should be a universal given and here in Thailand I expect, as it should, that this extends out to any Thai foreign exchange.   After the tussle was over I asked one of the Thai gentlemen sitting down at the street side what had happened.  Apparently he had made a number of comments on what it would cost to buy them for the night. Regardless of the fact that solicitation of this kind is viewed differently here they are not statement that should be tossed around and I applaud her prowess to stand up for her dignity and voice her disapproval.
Now that the night air had settled back into its mellow state the  three of us continued to talk of the things that brought us here and all the good things shared over a beer between random travelers out enjoying the world.  There is a picture of the 3 of us that I will try to get some day in the future. But we parted ways here. Me, to go get my ticket for the next 9 hrs of my day, them, to go find their room and maybe sleep a bit before the head off to meet up another fellow traveler they crossed paths with before  and now resides in the south of Bangkok.  I board the bus and start to recount the last hrs activity as I watch the city come to life as the light of a new day greets all the motor bikes, trucks of produce, and food stands on each corner as the country side passes my window.  My adventure has definitely starred and I am excited for every day.

About dkeen


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.