Existing Member?

Downunder Adventure

South Island, New Zealand

USA | Friday, 17 March 2006 | Views [840] | Comments [3]

We took the ferry (looks like a large ship) from Wellington (North Island) to Picton (South Island) last lastweek or fivedays ago or something like that.  The ferry ride was good.  Clear skies and calm waters.  Took three hours. It was fun.  From the ferry station in Picton we took a train to Christchurch. 6 hours on a narrow guage train track.  Very rocky.  Dan loved it.  Met a man from Spain who travels all the time and leaves his wife and grown son at home in Spain. Teaches philosoply.  And another from Sydney,Australia coming home to New Zealand to visit his sister.  We were originally planning on taking the train over the Alps until I realized how rocky it was just going down the coast.  Christchurch is the most amazing, beautiful town.  Reminds me of what England must look like.  We walked all day long in the central business district and took lots of pictures.  We also took the little narrated tram ride around town.  Very much fun.  From Christchurch we drove south along the coast finally have landed in Dunedin, the buildings and central business district are much like Christchurch.  Gorgeous.  We have seen penguins in the wild as well as many fur seals.  Amazing.  You feel like you are in a National Geographic film.  We are heading towards the Alps and Milford Sound tomorrow and for several days thereafter.  I think we are going to need warmer clothes.  Gina:  I did get your last message.  Thank You.  So you much be doing it right.  I don't know what happened to the other messages you sent.  Went into Never, Never Land I guess.  I MISS YOU TO PIECES.   Amy:  You will fly into Hilo, stopping over in Honolulu.  I can't wait for you to come over.  WE LOVE YOU ALL VERY MUCH.  Traveling is good, but HOME is the best.  I am homesick for what I don't know.  Just looking forward to sleeping in my bed again I guess.  Dan is getting better at this driving on the wrong side of the road stuff.  The street signs are impossible to read if they are posted at all.  We are sending a few pictures.  Be sureto check the picture gallery at this wedsite.  Hope Trevor is doing well.  I pray for him daily.  I am thinking of coming to San Diego for Thanksgiving at Darlins house.  Maybe a couple days in Vegas while I'm down south then north to Gina's, Amy's and of course Uncle Ronnie's for Christmas.  Dan will probably stay home in Hawaii for the holidays.  So we can party down or you can go to Hawaii for the holidays and be with Uncle Dan.  Thank you Connie for taking such good care of the homestead.  HAPPY ST. PATRICK's Day.    LOVE YOU..  AUNT JOYCE & UNCLE DAN.

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

All going well here on the big island. The rain has been relentless - some loss of life over on Kauai. A dam broke and washed away a couple of homes. But it seems to be letting up a bit now - although the "flash flood watch" lasts til Sunday night. I'm taking a long bike ride tour next Monday over on Kohala - sure hope it doesn't rain too much.... House is fine - so comfortable!!! Taking care of your stuff is a pleasure, believe me!!! Sometime soon - I need to know what flight y'all are coming in on. Don't see it anywhere here.

Sounds like you're having just the most wonderful time. But I'm not surprised - you two have the capacity for much much fun - no matter what you're doing or where you are!!!

Two things!!! First - the VA letter came in with
Dan's appointment - well into April - so no worry about timing. Second --- - November in San Diego - Thanksgiving at Darlins!!!! What a blast that would be - maybe I'll crash too!!!!

Love you both!!! C

  Connie Hays Mar 18, 2006 3:28 PM

2

Did you get any bad weather? Read there was a cyclone in Austrialia, hope you guys didnt get any of that. Had BEllas 4th birthday party yesterday. She had a fabulous time. Check you email account for pictures. Shes sick again though, another ear infection. But Trevor came home! He made it for bellas birthday and she was so happy! Hope you are all doing well. Love you Amy

  amy Mar 21, 2006 6:06 AM

3

I absolutely loved the pics! My favorite one was of the two of you...really made me miss you both! The buildings look amazing and the penguin...wonderful. All is well here.

Love you both and look forward to talking to you on Friday!

Love, gina

  Gina Mar 21, 2006 1:37 PM

About djswanson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.