Existing Member?

Trekking Ireland and Austria

Saalbach

AUSTRIA | Friday, 8 February 2008 | Views [372]

Austria is beautiful! It has been absolutely bucketing down with snow for the past 24hrs and it is amazing! When we first got here, they were looking for snow as it was starting to melt, well they definately got it. The trees are covered and the place just looks so picturesque! (Shame i can't say the same for the people!)

We have been skiing everyday, except yesterday. Well when i say we, mainly myself and Catherine. Kate's knee has been giving her grief so she hasn't done too much. They are all beginners as well, so i have been off exploring on my own most of the time. The runs are absolutely crazy over here. Basically, there blue run (the easiest) is equivelant to our blue/black runs...CRAZY!!

Yesterday we took a day off as we were all hurting. My knees have completely gone along with the calf muscles! We headed up to Hinterglime, which is the next mountain over, and went sledding!! Oh my god, it is soooo much fun!!! They actually have designated sled tracks from the top of the mountain, and you can do it at night as well, which of course we couldn't not do! However, i did almost die, or at least almost kill someone else as well!

I had a massive stack of the side and my sleigh kept on going, almost collinding with kate, then plummeting off the side of the cliff whilst performing a 10m aerial jump!!! It was seriously the scariest thing to happen thus far, but also the absolute funniest as well! Kate and i were in absolute stitches! I thought i had lost the sleigh, and my 30 Euro deposit, however when we looked over the edge we could make out a sleigh, whether it was actually mine or not we will never know. I highly doubt it was with the speed it was travelling at and the height it went off the edge! (I am cacking myself now jsut thinking about it!) Brian did the manly thing and risked his life by climbing out to the edge to retrieve my 'new' sleigh!! Yes, i didn't have to loose my deposit!

We made it safely back down the rest of the way, although witnessing a few minor accidents along the way! We decided against anymore suicidal sledding as we didn't want to have anz serious injuries to occur!

Today has been a great day for skiing, although it was blizzarding! The powder is just fantastic, mind you i did manage a couple of tumbles due to the ski getting caught in a pile of powder! Am not used to the stuff, as it is a rarity in Australia.

Food and drink over here a pretty good, i am in schnitzel heaven!! And the schnappps!!! It is customary to have at least a shot after your main meal, so of course we have been. Nights out haven't been to expensive, plus i have found yet another favourite drink - vodka and lemonade - delicious! I don't know why i haven' tried this earlier!!!!

Tomorrow is a day of exploring, and no doubt some more sledding due to the amoutn of fun we all had the other day! We are spending the day in Salzburg on Saturday and are going to go and do the Sound Of Music tour!

Ciao for now!!

Tags: Adventures

 

About djoiner


Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.