Existing Member?

Central America Adventure Peace be the Journey

On our way to Honduras and Civil Unrest

GUATEMALA | Monday, 3 January 2011 | Views [1232]

We left San Marcos in a collectivo heading to Honduras.  At midday we where suppose to switch vans in Antigua and then head across the border to Copan Ruinas, Honduras.  An hour before we reached Antigua we came to a complete traffic jam on the highway.  We thought it was just a car accident blocking traffic.  People were lining the highway so we got out to investigate.  The bus driver kept telling us it was because of "manifestos," we are sitting there thinking what in the world is a manifesto? Manifesto in spanish means protests.  The roads were blocked because the veterans of the Guatemalan army were trying to make a point, they were due wages from almost a decade earlier and they were tired of waiting.  After about an hour and a half the protesters started letting some cars through, which they did every few hours.  When we finally got to Antigua, we were told that we couldn't make the last five hours of our trip to Honduras that day, the border was closed and we would have to wait untill 4 am the next morning! 

Tags: civil unrest, highway, protest, roadblock, veterans

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.