Existing Member?

Central America Adventure Peace be the Journey

Chichicastenango, Guatemala

GUATEMALA | Sunday, 26 December 2010 | Views [571] | Comments [1]

Market day, in one of Guatemala´s most Mayan towns in the Western Highlands, is like being immersed in a wave of colors, patterns and textures.  It is sensory overload and¨Chichi¨ is just one very interesting place to be.  It has twin churches that face each other opposite of a big square where the market is located.  You can see Mayan rituals being performed on the steps of the church, as the local Mayan cling to their traditions and still attend church masses. The market is normally small but twice a week Mayans flood into the city streets erecting stalls made of wooden poles and sell everything from the most intricately embroidered textiles to ceremonial incenses.  

We spent the night in a hotel overlooking the brilliantly colored cemetery that ChiChi hosts.  We took a little time the next morning to explore Chichi while it wasn't in tourist mode and then headed out on a chicken bus south to Lago Atitlan.

Tags: chichicastenango, church, guatemala, highlands, market day, mayan, mayan ritual, textiles

Comments

1

ha ha! riding back with chickens! hey Lacy, how'd ya like that? know DJ did.

  momma Jan 3, 2011 3:36 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.