Existing Member?

Central America Adventure Peace be the Journey

Isla Mujeres, Yucatan

MEXICO | Monday, 6 December 2010 | Views [441]

Yay! Its my birthday in Isla Mujeres!  We decide to go there on a whim...as we flew into Cancun but had no interest in staying there, Isla Mujeres was a nearby option.  We went not knowing what to expect, but wow, were we pleasantly surprised!  It is a charming little beach community and is a travelers gem.  This 7 km island is mostly made up of cobblestone pedestrian streets and is clean, nice, and muy tranquile.  We start off the trip with seafood ceviche and margaritas at a little locals restaurant in the sand.  Two mexican musicians come over and play the Mexican Birthday Song for me haha.

The next day we wake up at sunrise and jump on the bikes we rented for a ride around the perimeter of the whole island making stops along the way that include: Punta Sur, the most eastern point of the Mayan empire that sits on a cliff over the ocean, Tortugranja Turtle Farm, which DJ loves, and just stopping at all the little beaches along the way.  After browsing around all the open air markets, its time to catch the boat back to the mainland.  On to the next stop!

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.