Existing Member?

A Desired Life

Thailand's Hidden Secret

THAILAND | Wednesday, 6 May 2015 | Views [119] | Scholarship Entry

This was it, this was the moment that I knew. I was travelling. The water like glass below my thighs was mesmerising. Schools of miniature fish racing between the vast array of coloured coral and the sand, the glowing white sand, which was like clouds beneath my feet. I truly was in heaven. Large mountains consisting of earth, rock and jungle towered over this secluded area, providing the perfect amount of shade. These skyscraper rocks seemed almost strategically placed, how could something this perfect be natural. This had to be a fantasy, some twisted dream in which I would wake from unsatisfied with home life. If it were a dream I would sleep forever. In my heaven. Or, more commonly known as, Thailand.

After being taken back by my surroundings I then noticed everyone around me. The tourists investigating the cove with their curious eyes. An array of disbelief was obvious in the expressions of all the travellers. Whilst the tour guides anchored the boat down and continued chattering on in words I would never understand, unfazed by beauty. Contrasting the expressions of the tour team to those of us who were travelling it was evident that we were tourists. We didn't want to be tourists. We wanted this to be our home, even if it were just for a week.

The workers made me feel jealous, their job was to come to this place everyday with a bunch of tourists who adore them. I don't know about you, but at my work, I certainly don't get this kind of view. Their authentic smiles and humour radiated throughout the tour group brightening up the mood. The worker with dreadlocks and warm skin went round and asked all 27 tourists our names then recited them back to us hours later impressing everyone on the boat who had changed seats since he asked the names. I admired the tour team and envied their relaxed unbelievable life.

I never expected a place could look like this. I saw the photos, I saw the videos, I saw the postcodes, I saw the internet flooded with photography, yet all of these visuals failed to do this place justice. My expectations were beyond exceeded. Perhaps this was because I not only could see the flawless blue sky reflecting onto the water, or the vibrant trees and vines that hung wildly over the canyons, but all my senses were aroused. The salty air tickled my tongue, the water caressed my body so delicately, the natural sounds of water flowing, trees swaying and birds singing serenaded me and the smell of cleanliness and purity cleansed my soul.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About disire


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.