Existing Member?

Creating My Own Lonely Planet

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 9 April 2012 | Views [255] | Scholarship Entry

I went to Hat Yai, Thailand from Kuala Lumpur, to spend the weekend as a solo backpacker. I brought only 1,000 Baht. I departed to Hat Yai at 11 p.m. from Puduraya Bus Terminal, using KKKL bus. I slept until we reached the Malaysian immigration checkpoint in Bukit Kayu Hitam at 5 a.m. in the morning. We continued our journey for 5 minutes with the bus, and stopped in Sadao, Thailand immigration checkpoint. We had to bring all luggage to the checkpoint.

The bus reached Hat Yai city at 8 a.m. Thailand time. It took 10 hours by bus, from KL to Hat Yai. Thailand time is 1 hour later than Malaysia time. I stayed in Cathay Guesthouse which is located near the Train Station, traditional market, and shopping malls. I communicate using sign language, because people in Hat Yai are rarely understand English. I reached the guesthouse at 9 a.m. I got twin-bed room for 200B.The room is quite wide with 2 bunk-beds, a bathroom with squat toilet, and a window.

I went to Giant Sleeping Buddha Temple (Wat Hat Yai Nai) with a motorcycle man for 20B. Then I went to the Clock Tower to get the minivans to Songkhla. It costs 30B. It took about an hour to go to Samilla Beach, Songkhla. A trip by minivan costs 30B.
Samilla Beach is famous by its Lady Mermaid statue. The beach has 2 islands: Cat & Rat. I saw the statue of Cat & Rat there. There are many fresh seafood restaurants around the beach. I found a weird Thai snack: Kai Khao, a boiled egg, but you can taste the chicken embryo inside.

On Sunday, I attended Sunday mass in Thai language. I didn't understand, but at least I knew how to greet each other, "Swadee kha!"

Then I went to Hat Yai City Municipality Park by tuk-tuk for 10B. I climbed the hill to see the Kwan Im goddess and Buddha statue on the top. It was beautiful view of Hat Yai city from above. There are also cable cars to go to another hill.

I took songthew for 20B to go back to Hat Yai. Then I went to the Hat Yai Train Station at 4 p.m. and going back to KL by train.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About dipta


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.