Existing Member?

Leftovers in my Suitcase

Luderitz you stole my heart!

NAMIBIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [462] | Scholarship Entry

Countless definitions of love exist. To me love is a struggle, a mystery, spontaneity, beauty - Euphoria.
It was on one specific day that I fell in love with the harbor town Lüderitz, situated between the desiccating sands of the Namib Desert and the Atlantic Ocean. Its mysterious beauty, a driving factor for me to return to it, is transmitted through white sandy beaches and crystal clear seas, sometimes cursed with an unpleasant feeling whistling through the wind.
A secret lurked in the romance of every sunset and sunrise with fiery bursts of red and orange colors of the sun striking through the sky to unveil different layers of blues and pinks. Many visitors have warned of its extreme windy and dull days and its great traveling stretch. Lüderitz is comparable to a moody and distant lover. It pulled me into its captivating romance to reminisce of the day I will never forget when I fell in love with it.
Setting sail to the Halifax Island on the Zeepard catamaran lead me to discover why I could not possibly ever forget why Lüderitz got a grip on my travel spirit.
Looking up into the clear sky, the dark blue and almost gentle waters, euphoric moments lied ahead in these gentle waters - dolphins leaped through the waters. The squawk of a seagull echoed through the sky almost to signal that it would poop right in my face for rudely staring right under!
It was only when the intense ocean breeze hit me with an aromatic salty taste that I realized; we were close to Halifax Island. A pink slightly skew line could be seen at the side of the island. As we got closer, the sandy pink line turned into a paradise of flamingos! The trembling boat engine slowed down the Zeepard to get a view of a whole colony of African Penguins. I could only picture from afar these creatures in their playful element. Though we did not come close enough to see what they were actually doing, I imagined the pure pride of the colony in its happiness and love for each other on this small island, content in their humble abode. I got captured by the beauty of nature - sparking a pure essence of love.
Lüderitz you caught me, you captivate me still to this day. The ultimate memory of this trip lies in finding love for myself and in nature through the euphoria of carefree moments gained from the perfect mix of the ocean, Halifax Island, the far-away scenery of the Namib Desert and all living creatures in and around the ocean. Lüderitz I will never forget the day that I fell in love with you!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About dionnek


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.