Existing Member?

Mandy's Movements

Zagreb

CROATIA | Thursday, 11 October 2012 | Views [302]

If you had asked me anything about Zagreb before I went on holidays probably the only thing I could tell you is that it is the capital of Croatia. After spending a couple of days here I do have to say that it is on par with Prague and Budapest for its architecture and culture. In fact, they have much better and bigger parks in the city centre and, for a city of 800,000, it has a fantastic selection of cafes and other entertainment venues. The tourism industy is quite young here so I suspect they will soon be seeing the huge volume of tourists that visit Prague and Budapest.

This is a lovely city to walk around and admire the architecture, the most beautiful being from the Austro Hungarian times. The old part of Zagreb is divided into two sections depending on when settlements were first established - upper and lower old town. I spent about 6 hours yesterday walking through both sections taking photos, admiring the buildings/view, reading about the history, etc. I think I´ve got a bit shorter over the past few weeks because of all the walking I´ve done - might need to get that leg stretch surgery in China!

Today I finished any bits I didn´t get to do yesterday :P and doing a little bit of shopping. This is my last night in Croatia before moving on to Slovenia. I feel a bit sad as I have really, really enjoyed my time here. Croatia is a fantastic country to visit. There is something here for everyone, whether it is culture, architecture, history, islands, beaches, wine, the list goes on. I can understand why it is the flavour of the month. Make sure you all add it to your lists of places to visit!

About dimanamandy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.