Existing Member?

Didi The Explorer Some notes, thoughts, photos and videos of my journey around this planet.

The Islands

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 25 October 2008 | Views [513]

Well we have left the Islads. Which is sad. I miss the hammock and reading my book in the sunshine. We left the Island on the boat ride off death. It rained all the way and was rather bumpy. The Islands were amazing. We stayed on Long beach for 8 nights in a place called Lemongrass. We had a hut that had sea views and the owner had kittens which slept in the bookcase. This sold it for us. We were about 30 seconds from the beach. On the Island there was not much to do but sunbath, dive or snorkel. We opted most of the time for sunbathing but did managed to squeeze in some snorkelling. We went for a day trip and went to 5 different sites. We swam with millions of fish and jellyfish. We saw some turtles but they were wise to us and they stayed on the bottom so there was no close up of the turtles. They also swim much faster than expected. We also swam at shark point which surprisingly has sharks there. We saw a few black tip reef sharks. We meet some cool people who were also staying at Lemongrass so hangout with them most evenings at the only bar on the beach and drank monkey juice. We joined a dive trip out to Redang and saw some amazing coral. It was just me and es swimming in the very big sea. We swam with some more sharks but freaked us out a little bit as it was us alone with sharks. They were only little ones so very unlikly to have eaten us. 

There was not really any bugs, well not that I saw. I did find a few spiders in my clothes but nothing scary. The main problem in the hut was the evil squirrel. The bastard sounded like an elephant climbing on the roof at 3am. He also got into our hut and chewed a massive hole in my makeup bag and Es's day bag. The bastard!!!

The weather was fantastic and only rained sometimes in the night. On our last day it pissed it down most of the night and morning but was glorious sunshine the rest of the day. I have managed to get a bit of tan but was not really trying as I am so bloody pale I end up just looking pink.

It was sad to leave the Islands but the weather was definatly on the turn and lots of places had started to close up. So boat ride of death. Rain at high speed bloody hurts and the a taxi to Kota Bahru.

Kota Bahru. We only stayed one night. A town worth little mention. Smelly fish market were Ali stood in fish guts. The most disgusting thing ever. Had doughnuts in a cafe. Amazing bakery which saved us with its air con in the boiling heat. Got the bus to Penang from there. It took about 6 hours and I love the buses. They have air con and lazy boy seats. So that is where I am the moment. In chinatown in Georgetown, Penang.

About didi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.