Existing Member?

journey

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 18 April 2012 | Views [141] | Scholarship Entry

It is quite common to see people doing their busy routine every day; going to work or school in the morning, spend the day in the room with books or computer, and arriving at home in the evening or even late. This situation certainly takes place in most cities worldwide by the people. However, there is one city that serves a quite different picture of how cities suppose to be.
Once you visited Denpasar, Bali, you will find a day in the city with no activity when Hindu people were celebrating their annual religious tradition of Nyepi, a silent day. There is no vehicle along the street of Diponegoro; the most crowded street in Denpasar where crowded traffic usually occur. The office buildings, markets, stores, and restaurants simultaneously closed. Even you will rarely see the local people walking on the pedestrian. At night, dim lights were seen over the city. Almost all of houses didn’t switch the light on, which I believe the residents were inside. The day after, Denpasar has turn into a usual city again with its crowd and rush activities.
For Hindu society, Nyepi is the day when they can tranquilize and contemplate, leaving a while their bustle. In a big city like Denpasar, having that kind of celebration is quite meaningful and special. Exploring Bali with this unique culture will give you a very different atmosphere of your trip.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About diangga


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.