Existing Member?

Chasing Carmen Sandiego

Blue Mountains (April 12 +13)

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 15 April 2008 | Views [501] | Comments [1]

Off To the Bluies -

This trip started at Central Station where a huge coach picked up not a lot of people. On the way to the mountains we stopped at Featherdale Wildlife Park. Similar to the park I stopped at for the R and R trip but this place was a lot bigger and with heaps more animals. So many freaking kangaroos and they were all on the loose. So many koalas too. I saw a croc up close. This thing was half the size that full-growns get and I felt like the 2 barriers were not enough to stop that thing from destroying me. I could not imagine being in the water in the wild with that thing approaching. Also saw the deadliest snake in the world (Taipan). After that we took a hike through the woods led by an Aboriginal man, Evan. Did some face painting and made attempts to enter dreamtime (for me, 10 minutes of sitting uncomfortably on a rock). Checked into the youth hostel that night and watched Harry Potter before bed.

The next day was marked with excitement and dissapointment. This was due to our abseiling escursion (Abseiling meaning repelling). So we start off by an intro repel down a pathetic rock. Then we did two more which were really fun in preparation for the beast that stood 50 meters. I was getting scared on the 2nd tallest and that was well under half the size. However, my confidence was gaining and I was psyched for the big guy. We took a little walk to the next cliff and it was much more open and not in the woods allowing us to see the surrounding mountains. I would imagine that this would make it even scarier, but I was ready. The trouble was, looking left you could see rain dumping on the mountains and in a matter of 3 minutes it was pouring over us. Even though it didn't last long we had to cancel the 50 meter repel. Thourough dissapointment. After this we headed into the blue mountain canyon and saw the 3 sisters. The photos will describe this part of the trip better than I can.

Comments

1

Hey which abseiling company did you use? I did High 'N Wild. I don't know if I ever showed you my movie! A cameraman followed us on our trip and posted the videos online. I'm in the first shot of the first movie and I think that's me in the last movie of Empress Waterfall (you just keep clicking "Next Movie", there are 4 in all).
http://www.high-n-wild.com.au/movies.html

That stinks that it rained. Maybe you can try going again (and ask them for a discount since you got ripped off!).

I loved the Blue Mountains and Katoomba. Really cute town. I'll try to find out the name of the hotel we stayed in that was old and adorable. I also went to Featherdale, I think we stopped there on the way back. Roos and emus running around everywhere! Those emus are psychotic and really scary!

Can't wait till Gina gets there and to see pics of you both Down Undah!

  Kristen Apr 15, 2008 11:45 PM

About dhoffman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.