Existing Member?

On the Road

Tuscany, Goat Cheese and Luccan Hills

ITALY | Saturday, 20 June 2015 | Views [591]

Podere Al Carli, Image Source: http://loveat-italy.blogspot.co.uk/

Podere Al Carli, Image Source: http://loveat-italy.blogspot.co.uk/

The  owner of Podere Al Carli (Al Carli) Farm is Monica Ferruci, who took the property over from David Lean. David Lean directed films including the Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago. Though purchased the property was left empty with no renovation work done. Once the Ferruci family acquired the farmland, they restored the property by painstakingly retaining the original stone and brickwork, using old terracotta tiles and beamed ceilings.

Monica Ferruci is visionary, owner and chef of this incredible spot of land in the Tuscan Hills. The town of Lucca is just 12km south of the farm and accessible by car only. While most visitors stop at the center of Lucca, visitors venturing further north will be overwhelmed by the incredible vistas and winding roads leading up to Podere Al Carli. 

When you meet Monica Ferruci you immediately notice a hard working sunny personality with a love of her land, the goats they raise and products they produce, aka incredible goat cheese. Up to 12 visitors can stay at Al Carli treated to incredible meals prepared fresh by Chef Monica. Talk to the owner and they will take you on a short road trip to the goat farm, of 150 goats and take you through the process of creating goat cheese.  

Travellers heading north of Lucca into the Tuscan hills will be mesmerized by the incredible scenery and vistas. Drivers be aware the roads leading through Lucca can be very narrow and often windy. It is necessary to pay attention to mirrors placed at tight corners and to honk if there is no visibility when turning. 

 

Podere Al Carli, Image Source: http://loveat-italy.blogspot.co.uk/

About dgsfny


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.