Existing Member?

Det and Rut in India and Nepal Our travel experience ...

Delhi (4x), Risikesh, Haridwar; Holland and back home!

INDIA | Monday, 19 May 2008 | Views [1086]

Unfortunately I’ve only been able to post the final story today. I’ve decided to do so nonetheless because otherwise the blog wouldn’t be complete.

After the nice time spent in Nepal we went back to India. We staid a couple of days more in Delhi (for the third time) where did some big time shopping ;-) and after that we went to Risikesh.
The bus ride to get there was crap as usual, but this time even worse! My chair was broke and therefore I couldn’t pull it backwards so as to sleep so I had to fold my legs in a strange, uncomfortable position all night long.

Risikesh is a holy city located in the foothills of the Himalaya in northern India for Hindus and a famous centre of pilgrimage. People from all over the world come there to meditate or to do yoga-courses (The Beatles stayed here for 2 months back in 1968). We got there really early in the morning and together with some folks we met on the bus we got a Rickshaw at 05:30 AM not really knowing where we were going. Once we reached the other side of the city, where all the Ashrams (spiritual retreats) are located, we got off so as to find ourselves an accommodation. After about 45 minutes of walking around we found an Ashram where we slept a couple of hours so as to get a little bit of extra sleep.
There is really not that much to see here besides Ashrams and shops. Still it’s a nice place to see for one or two days. In fact, after that we decided to go to another city located nearby called Haridwar.


Associated with both Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu, Haridwar is among the seven sacred cities of
India. It is a religious centre which holds promise of salvation for devotees. It is also a centre of herbal medicine, and traditional studies. It’s one of the first towns where the Ganga emerges from the mountains to touch the plains, that’s why the water is crystal clear and cool, unlike in Varanassi.
Again we stayed in an Ashram, but this time meals were included. I have to admit that the more the departure date was coming near, the more I was longing for ice-cream, beer and all the other goodies that I couldn’t eat there because of the risk of getting ill. In fact, the food in this ashram was not really nice. Just as Risikesh, Haridwar is a place where it’s nice to wonder around but it doesn’t have any special sites to visit. We stayed there for just 2 nights because we wanted to make sure to be back in
Delhi 2 days before our departure.

On the last day in Delhi I just had to get some of those tailor-made clothes ;-) I got myself some trousers and shirts that were made on the same day, so I was told to stop by at 20:00 PM. However, when I got there they didn’t exactly fit seamlessly: they turned out to be the size of an elephant! Somehow, they messed up and in order to fix it I had to wait there until 22:00 PM while will still needed to buy some souvenirs etc. so in the end we didn’t get too much sleep that night ...

The next we flew back to Holland with a stopover in London where our connecting flight had 1,5 hour delay so by the time we got to my parents place I had been awake for 24 hours! However, I felt wide awake as it was very nice to see my family again and to talk about our adventures. After 2 days in Fryslân we flew back to Barcelona. We got home at 00:30 AM and at 08:00 AM the next morning I was back at work … the entire 2 month trip seemed as if it where a dream!

Now that we’ve been back since one month every thing is back to ‘normal’. It didn’t feel that way in the beginning though: one of the first things I noticed was the silence compared to India. Before this trip I always thought of Barcelona as a noisy city, but now I don’t really see it like that anymore.

The second thing I noticed was the fast pace of life in the west: people talking to each other while walking away in opposite directions because they're so busy they don't stop for a second to finish the conversation. Maybe it was just because of the fact that I didn't work during these two months, because now I'm doing the same thing ... :-(

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.