Existing Member?

Det and Rut in India and Nepal Our travel experience ...

Lumbini (Nepal)

NEPAL | Tuesday, 25 March 2008 | Views [620] | Comments [1]

After an overnight stop in Gorakhpur (a dreadful city you want to leave a.s.a.p.) we made a tough journey through a rural area of northern India in an overloaded bus to reach the border of Nepal.
Once we got the VISA we went to Lumbini in a bus that was even more overloaded (see pictures). Lumbini is the birthplace of Buddha and is and important Buddhist pilgrimage site. This holy site is bordered by a large monastic zone, in which only monasteries can be built; they are from many different countries all over the world.
The second day we rented a bike to visit some small rural villages in the surrounding area. It was all I had hoped for: beautiful fields, no hassling with people trying to sell you stuff. Afterwards we visited the exact place where Buddha was born. This holy site has ruins of ancient monasteries, a sacred Bodhi tree, an ancient bathing pond, the Asokan pillar and the Mayadevi temple, where the precise place of birth of Buddha is located. From early morning to early evening, pilgrims from various countries perform chanting and meditation at the site.
The next day there was a national bankholiday to celebrate the beginning of Spring time: holi (by the way, they really call it like that :-) it’s a very important festival in India and also in some parts of Nepal. A festival of colors, kids through bags with water mixed with colors at anyone who’s passing by. Greet 'em all with blasting colors and loads of fun. Well, not if you’re wearing white clothes!! Anyway, that day we got up at 5.00 AM so as to catch the bus at 6:30 but at 8:30 still no bus ... so in the end we had to take a taxi to the next village so as to be able to catch the only bus going to Pokhara that day (we're talking about the second biggest city of Nepal). As always the journey was bumpy and tiring, but when we finally arrived we ended up in a charming little family guesthouse with a beautiful view over the lake.
More about this later. Tomorrow we’re going on a five day trek in the Ghorepani area which is supposed to be amazing. I’ll keep you posted!!!

Comments

1

Hoi Detmar en Ruth!

Hi guys!
Its a real pleasure to read the blog and follow your wonderings in India and Nepal.
Jeee...I had such a laugh with the "bus" picture.
You're really crammed in that bus Detmar!
Made me remember those heroic bus journeys in India.
I also liked the desert pictures ...it almost looked like "Lawrence d'Arabia".
Have fun and enjoy you're trek!


  frederic Mar 27, 2008 6:05 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.