Existing Member?

God Gave You A Mouth, So Use It

My Scholarship entry - Through Local Eyes

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 2 October 2012 | Views [528] | Scholarship Entry

God Gave You A Mouth, So Use It. This is a personal encouragement phrase for me as I was born with a double cleft lip and was put up for adoption by my birth mom in Asuncion, Paraguay because of it. I never let insecurity get the best of me and decided to do eco-volunteer work in South Africa, Teach English As A Foreign Language to children in China, and learn Portuguese in Brazil.
Unlike the more touristic spots Rio de Janeiro and Bahia, I decided to go to Sao Paulo. I didn't know anybody but as God has given us all a mouth I used it to the fullest the moment I knew some Portuguese.I made friends with 2 guys at a nearby Samba school and they opened up an exclusive experience for me (for any foreigner in that case) by letting me enter the Sao Paulo carnival with them. With this entry I want to show the Sao Paulo equivalent.
I had little experience with filming but that's changed as I went to the Illinois School of Art in Chicago for a year. Unfortunately I had to drop out because my mother got very ill. I'm hoping for a 2nd chance for my passion of telling stories through travelling and also inspire other people with facial birth defects to stand out! Be proudly & uniquely you.

Tags: travel film scholarship 2012

About desirerohde


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.